Glorious News from the Burnside Expedition.

Capture of Newbern, N. C.

Flight of the Rebel Forces, leaving behind Cannon, Small Arms, Ammunition, &c., &c.

Interesting Particulars of the Battle.

Another Union Victory in Arkansas.

Death of Buchanan, Commander of the Rebel Steamer Merrimac.

Burnside Confirmed by the Senate as Major General.

Interesting Items from Washington.

&c., &c., &c.

BALTIMORE, March 18. — The steamer Commodore arrived this morning direct from Burnside's expedition, and reports the capture of Newbern, North Carolina, defeat of the enemy and the capture of a large quantity of artillery, after a hard fought battle. Our loss at Newbern is about 90 killed and 400 wounded. Our men displayed great bravery. A bearer of dispatches from Gen. Burnside left immediately for Washington.


It is reported that we took some three hundred prisoners.

Some reports make our loss 50 or 60 killed, and 250 to 300 wounded.

The fight took place on Friday last.

There are rumors that one of our brigadier generals was killed.

[Special Dispatch to N. Y. Times.]

BALTIMORE, March 18. — The enemy's works six miles below Newbern, were attacked on Friday morning last. They were defended by a force 10,000 strong, having 21 guns posted behind formidable batteries two miles long. The fight was one of the most desperate of the war. Our troops behaved with great steadiness and courage, and after nearly four hours hard fighting drove the rebels from all their positions, capturing three light batteries of field artillery, 48 heavy siege guns, large stores of fixed ammunition, 3000 stand of small arms, and 200 prisoners, including one colonel, three captains, and four lieutenants. The enemy left a large number of dead on the field. They escaped by cars to Goldsboro, burning the bridges over the Trent and Claremont rivers, and firing the City of Newbern. No damage was done to the place. We lost about 100 killed and 400 wounded, mostly of the New England regiments. Rev. O. M. Benton was among the killed, and Major Begender, 51st regiment N. Y. volunteers, mortally wounded; Lieut. Col. Merritt of the 23d Massachusetts, and Adjutant F. A. Stearns of the 21st Mass, of Amherst, were also killed.

BALTIMORE, March 18. — Sergt. Maj. D. H. Johnson, of the 23d Massachusetts regiment, came a passenger by the steamer Commodore. From him we gather the following interesting particulars:
Our troops under Gen. Burnside landed on Thursday morning near the mouth of Swan creek, on the west side of Neuse river, 15 miles below Newbern. Owing to a dense fog the naval vessels did not participate in the fight.

Early on Friday morning the fight commenced. Our troops advanced along the county road running parallel with the Neuse river, but a mile or two in the rear. The road was skirted on the west side by a railroad and dense swamps. All along the river's side were a series of batteries, which were taken by our troops one after another. After some bloody hand-to-hand contests, our troops were divided into three brigades, under Generals Reno, Foster and Parks.

We advanced gradually, the enemy deserting their guns, until we reached a line of earthworks extending across the road, from the river to the swamp on the west, a distance of some two miles. These earth-works were very strong. They were located about two miles south of Newbern, and between there and the city ran the river Trent. The county road and the railroad both passed through these works, and crossed into the city by bridges. In front of these works the rebels had felled a large number of trees, forming an almost impenetrable abbattis. Here the flying rebels were rallied, and made for a while a desperate stand. Our men fought until all their ammunition was spent, when an order to charge bayonets was given, and the works were finally taken at the point of the bayonet; the enemy flying and leaving everything behind them in their retreat. The rebels burned the bridge communicating with the town over both the county road and the railroad. As they had their trains of cars in their rear, just across the bridges, they of course were able to carry off their wounded and dead. Their loss is therefore not certainly known, but it must have been severe. Before our troops reached this last work, they encountered another, which was deserted before they came up. It was in front of the last fortification that our greatest loss was sustained. The force of the rebels is supposed to have been about 8000. We captured a number of prisoners, including Col. Avery, who cursed his soldiers as cowards. Just as the battle terminated the fog lifted, and enabled our gunboats, which had been waiting to participate in the fight, to come up the river, and our troops were furnished with means of transportation across the Trent and Newbern. The rebels attempted to fire the town on their retreat, but were prevented by the citizens, who extinguished the flames as fast as they were started by the soldiers. None of our generals or staff officers were killed or wounded. We captured from 30 to 50 cannon. The officers of the rebels left their baggage behind, and the men threw away everything. The fight terminated at 3 p. m. on Friday, when our troops remained masters of the field.