In 1837 the young Lincoln was among
the leaders of the movement to bring the Illinois state capitol to Springfield.
In the state's early days the capitol had resided at Vandalia. But as
central and northern Illinois grew more populous, this location proved
too southerly. Several communities, including Peoria, competed for the
honor of hosting the state government. But the Sangamon County delegation,
known as the "Long Nine" for their considerable height, succeeded in
bringing the state house to Springfield. The State of Illinois built
the structure pictured above to house the legislature in Springfield.
It still stands today, although a new state house replaced it in the
late nineteenth century.