NIU Libraries Digitization Projects
Lincoln/Net Prairie Fire Illinois During the Civil War Illinois During the Gilded Age Mark Twain's Mississippi Back to Digitization Projects Contact Us
BACK

Edwards, Richard; Hopewell, M.; Ashley, William; Barry, James G.; Belt and Priest; Casey, John; Hall, W.; Labaum, Louis A.; Leduc, Mary Philip; Lisa, Manuel; O'Fallon, Benjamin; Piernas; Port Folio; Risley, W.; Stoddard, Amos; Williams, Henry W.; Yore, John E. Edwards's Great West and Her Commercial Metropolis, Embracing a General View of the West, and a Complete History of St. Louis, from the Landing of Ligueste, in 1764, to the Present Time; with Portraits and Biographies of Some of the Old Settlers, and Many of the Most Prominent Buisiness Men . St. Louis: Office of Edwards's Monthly, A Journal of Progress, 1860. [format: book], [genre: biography; history; letter; narrative]. Permission: St. Louis Mercantile Library
Persistent link to this document: http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/file.php?file=edwards.html


Previous section

Next section

Biographies. Intoduction.

BIOGRAPHY is the most important feature of history; for the record of the lives of individuals appears to be invested with more vitality and interest than the dry details of general historical narrative. In biography the attention is not distracted by a multiplicity of leading and disconnected events, but every incident that is related serves to illustrate the character of some eminent person, and is another light by which we can see more clearly the elements which form their being.

The gentlemen whose biographies make so large a portion of this work have not been selected on account of their wealth, their social position, or their particular avocation, but from other and more worthy motives. In the number are embraced all of the professions, and most of the other callings of life, and they find a place in this book from the circumstance that they excel in their respective vocations, are men of sterling virtue, and in their efforts to establish position and fortune, they have given wealth, stamina, and character to the city of St. Louis. We have no favorites to support, no political or sectarian interest to advance, but in choosing the subjects of these biographies have been guided by a sense of duty, and a wish to pay some tribute to well-deserved merit.

James H. Lucas.

JAMES H. LUCAS can boast of an old line of French ancestry who were conspicuous both for their virtues and their talents. His father, John B. C. Lucas, was born in the province of Normandy, France, and graduated with distinction at the University of Caen, and received the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. Immediately after the Revolution, he came to the United States, bringing with him flattering credentials from Dr. Franklin, who represented the United States at Paris, to some of the most distinguished citizens of Philadelphia.

Wishing to remove farther west, Mr. Lucas went to Pittsburgh, and talents and integrity being in demand, he was appointed Judge of the District Court, and soon afterward was elected member of Congress. This was in the year 1800; and the same year, on the 12th of November, the subject of this memoir was born.

After representing Allegheny county, in the state of Pennsylvania, with honor in the national Congress, Judge Lucas, in 1805, removed to the city of St. Louis, having previously visited it in 1792, and became at once convinced of its future greatness. The state of Missouri was at that time a territory, and was termed the Territory of Louisiana, and Judge Lucas was appointed by Thomas Jefferson one of the Judges of the Territory, and Land Commissioner, and these appointments were renewed

-- 186 --

by the two subsequent presidents, Madison and Monroe, who were satisfied with his honorable administration. He kept this responsible position until eighteen hundred and twenty, when Missouri was admitted a state into the confederacy.

Judge Lucas was blessed with a numerous family, and in 1811 lost his estimable wife, whose virtues had endeared her to a large circle of friends. One of his sons, Robert Lucas, was an officer in the United States army, and died in 1813, on the Canada frontier. Charles Lucas, who was United States Attorney in the state of Missouri, was killed in a duel with Col. Thomas H. Benton. Adrian was a planter, and died in 1804, William Lucas died in 1837; and Judge Lucas, the father, after being appointed, by the younger Adams, Judge of Land Claims in Florida, died August, 13th 1843. Of all the numerous family, there is only living at this time, James H. Lucas, the subject of this biography, and Mrs. Hunt, his sister, who is well known to the citizens of St. Louis for her many charitable donations. The early days of James H. Lucas were spent upon a farm, and it is probable that he owes to that circumstance much of that exuberance of health which he has always enjoyed. His father, who was highly educated, directly the physical system of James had become strong by wholesome exercise on the farm, sent him to school, and finally to Jefferson College in Pennsylvania, where he remained three years; and then to St. Charles College in Kentucky, at which he staid eighteen months. After completing his education, James H. Lucas, desirous of still farther pursuing his studies, resolved to teach school, at which he could, at the same time, earn a livelihood. He commenced the profession of teacher in the town of Hudson, state of New York, but did not long remain in that honorable and useful avocation. In that city he commenced the study of law under Judge Talmadge and J. B. Dexter. He, however, did not like the East, and soon returned to his home in St. Louis, and then removed to the territory of Arkansas, where he continued teaching school and reading law," till 1821, when he was admitted to the privileges of an attorney.

May 10th, 1832, Mr. Lucas married Miss Mary E. Desruisseaux, the daughter of one of the earliest settlers of Arkansas, who had removed from the town of Cahokia of Illinois; and from the time of his marriage until the year 1837, he devoted his attention to farming, and was very successful in the pursuit, having a very extensive and fertile tract of land. On the death of William Lucas, his brother, in 1837, Judge Lucas, his father, wrote him word to come and settle in St. Louis, as he was the only son that was living, and he was anxious that he should be near him. He then, according to the wishes of his father, removed to St. Louis, where he remained until the dissolution of his surviving parent in 1843.

Mr. Lucas has always been opposed to the turbulent life of polities, but was drawn by the persuasion of his friends upon the political arena, and in 1844 he was elected to the state Senate of Missouri, where he served four years with honor to himself and usefulness to the state; during this time was enacted the well-known Lucas law, which much simplified the confused process incident to land claims. After his term of service had expired, he retired from political life, and has been sedulously engaged since that time in attending to the large business connected

-- 187 --

with his immense property, and in various ways has been identified with the progressive advance of St. Louis. He was the early friend of the railroads in Missouri, and in every available manner advocated their utility, and assisted in their completion, while many old fogies laughed at the idea of any thing better for the country than the turnpike and the wagon. So as to give force to his advocacy to internal improvements, he was the first to subscribe to the stock in the large sum of $33,000, and this generous commencement by one whose business foresight was almost infallible, quickly made railroad stock a hobby, and the digging for the roads soon commenced.

Mr. Lucas projected and built Lucas Market, and laid out that handsome portion of the city known as Lucas Place, and which has become the most recherché neighborhood in the city of St. Louis.

All corporations, in the election of their officers, are always careful to install those who have the character and influence to control the respect of public opinion; and Mr. Lucas was appointed the President of the Pacific Railroad Company, and by his moral worth and known wealth, and above all by his business capacity, did much for its advancement. After filling that responsible position for some time, he resigned his office, and started on a European tour. On his return to St. Louis, he was solicited to fill many responsible positions, and became director and an extensive stockholder in many of the various moneyed institutions of the city.

In 1851, Mr. Lucas established his banking-house, which had a branch both in New York and San Francisco, and such was the universal confidence that the public had in the institution of which he was the head, that at one time his bank in St. Louis alone contained deposits to the enormous amount of more than two and a half millions of dollars. After some little time, Mr. Lucas discontinued his house in San Francisco.

In the great financial panic in 1857, Mr. Lucas, with every other bank in St. Louis, had to yield to the unnatural convulsion of affairs, and for a short time suspended payment, and it shows how boundless was the terror of the community, from their being guilty of the folly of running upon a bank whose proprietor was worth millions of dollars in real estate in the city of St. Louis. However, Mr. Lucas gave his notes to his creditors, and in a little while his boundless resources becoming available, he was anxious to pay off all demands, but to this day many of his notes are carefully kept in the drawers of thriving citizens, who prefer them to any mortgage on fee-simple property in the city. Mr. Lucas has had a large family of children, eight of whom are now living. One of his daughters married Dr. J. B. Johnson, an eminent physician of the city.

The business habits for which he was always remarkable Mr. Lucas still adheres to, and can be found constantly at his counting-room, actively engaged in the details of affairs, naturally arising from his immense possessions, and is courteous and unassuming at all times, and to every one who makes a demand upon his valuable time. Wherever he goes in the city of St. Louis, he can see in the splendid buildings which he has erected monuments of his taste and industry, and when he dies, and the turf is green above his "narrow house," Lucas Market and Lucas Place will hand his name to posterity.

-- 188 --

Robert A. Barnes, President of the Bank of the State of Missouri.

ROBERT A. BARNES was born November 29, 1808, in the city of Washington, District of Columbia. He is descended from an old English family of great antiquity, who emigrated from the county of Norfolk as early as 1662, and settled near Port Tobacco, the county seat of Charles county, state of Maryland. There is still in England a large family bearing that name.

Mr. Barnes was designed by his parents for commercial pursuits, and after receiving a good English education, he was sent to his uncle in the city of Louisville, Kentucky, who instilled into him that business education, and those business principles which have so contributed toward his success in life, and won the respect of the community. He remained in Louisville from 1822 till 1830, and then came to St. Louis, which he believed, from the position she occupied, must eventually become the great emporium of the West, and one of the most important cities in the Union.

Mr. Barnes was thrown early in life upon his own resources. He could hope for nothing unless through his own exertions. Even if his inclination had not led him to form habits of industry, economy, and management, necessity would have compelled him. On his arrival at St. Louis, the first position he filled was that of clerk in the house of Messrs. Sproule & Buchanan, who were engaged in the general merchant business. After leaving them, he entered the house of Messrs. Vairin & Riel, After leaving the employ of the last-mentioned firm, Mr. Barnes having gathered some little money, commenced business on his own account, and was at one time connected with Captain John C. Swan. He has been gradually growing since that period in his business relations, until he now owns one of the most extensive wholesale groceries in the city, and has amassed a considerable fortune, in no other manner than from the legitimate profits of his business.

In January, 1845, Mr. Barnes was married to Miss Louise De Mun, of St. Louis. He has held the position of director in the Bank of the State of Missouri for nineteen years, and so highly is he esteemed for his integrity, his business and financial qualifications, that he has recently been elected president of this most extensive banking institution in the state.

-- 193 --

Louis A. Benoist.

Louis A. BENOIST is one of the few citizens of St. Louis who can boast of having first seen the light in its precincts. He was born in St. Louis August 13, 1803. His father, François M. Benoist, was a native of Montreal, Canada, and his mother, who is still living, is daughter of Charles Sanguinette, who came to St. Louis at the early day when the French surrendered Fort de Chartres to the English, according to the terms of the treaty of 1763. [7] François M. Benoist, according to the customs of most of the early French, was a trader with the Indians, and removed from Canada to St. Louis in 1790, so as to carry on the peltry trade with the numerous tribes who inhabited the banks of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.

Louis A. Benoist received from his father all the opportunities of education which the new settlement at that time afforded. He went to school to Judge Tompkins, one of the territorial judges, who kept for a short period a school, and at the age of fourteen went to St. Thomas College, Kentucky, kept by a Dominican priest, where he remained for two years, and returning to St. Louis, he commenced reading medicine under the instruction of Dr. Todson. After a trial of two years, medicine not being agreeable to his taste, he commenced the study of law in the office of Horatio Cozens.

There was a good deal of conveyancing done at that period in St. Louis, and Louis A. Benoist got employment in the office of Pierre Provenchère, a conveyancer of some note, which furnished him the means of continuing his legal studies. In 1823, he went to Europe to look after an estate belonging to his parents, and fully accomplished his object; but on his return voyage, was wrecked in the Bay of Biscay. After some suffering and much detention, he finally reached St. Louis, when he commenced to buy and sell real estate, loan money, etc. He pursued this business for a short time, and in 1832 opened an exchange office, in which, in connection with the banking business, he vended lottery tickets, at that time a favorite mode with all classes of trying the fitful favors of fortune. This was the first banking-house established in St. Louis, and that very spot where he first opened, though in a different building, Mr. Benoist still carries on the banking business.

In 1838, the business of Mr. Benoist had increased to such an extent, that he deemed it practicable to establish a branch house in New Orleans, which he did under the firm of Benoist & Hackny, and which is the large banking-house now known in the Crescent city as Benoist, Shaw & Co. In 1842, there was a tight pressure in the money-market, and the banking-house in St. Louis was forced to suspend, though in one month after, its doors were thrown open, and ten per cent. was paid on all liabilities. The branch bank in New Orleans did not suspend.

Mr. Benoist may truly be said to be one of the favorite sons of fortune. The moment that he commenced the great battle of life his course has

-- 194 --

been onward. Whatever he has touched has prospered, and he is now numbered among the most wealthy citizens of St. Louis.

During the great panic of 1857, the banking-house of Benoist & Company outrode the storm, which compelled almost every private banker and corporate banking institution in the Union to succumb for a while to the force of circumstances. It did not suspend, nor did the one in New Orleans.

Mr. Benoist, as has been seen, was not born to affluence, but began from an humble commencement, and owes alone to his efforts and industry his present position and fortune. What he has done can be done again if the same method be used for its accomplishment. Any young man who will copy his perseverance, economy, and industry, and like him be sedulous in preserving his reputation and credit, must attain affluence and reach a respectable position. Who properly sows in spring must reap a harvest, and he who in youth commences life with the practice of temperance, industry, and economy, must gather bountifully of the fruit they naturally produce.

Mr. Benoist has been three times married, and has had seventeen children, ten of whom are living. His first wife was Miss Barton, of Kaskaskia; his second, Miss Hackny, of Pennsylvania; and the third, Miss Sarah E. Wilson, daughter of John Wilson, of New Jersey. In 1851, he took with him on a European tour his eldest son, Sanguinette H. Benoist. It was during the World's Fair at London, when the English capital was thronged with strangers. Born in St. Louis, Mr. Benoist has witnessed all the wonderful changes in his native city since his boyhood. His youth, his manhood, all of his business relations, have been identified with St. Louis — he is one of the old landmarks, and no one better than he is known and appreciated.

-- 197 --

Colonel Joshua B. Brant.

COLONEL JOSHUA B. BRANT was born April 8th, 1790, in the town of Hampshire, Hampton county, Massachusetts. His father, John Brant, was a gallant soldier in the trying times of the Revolution, and lived to the remarkable age of ninety-nine years and three months, dying in the year 1852. His mother's maiden name was Bosworth, of a large and respectable family of that name who still reside in Massachusetts.

The early days of young Joshua Brant were passed in the healthful exercise of farming avocations, and he ploughed the land and drove oxen till he reached eighteen years of age. The schooling that he obtained he received at night, the day being devoted to bodily labor. At the age of eighteen, Joshua Brant determined to leave the wholesome trammels of parental authority, and try his fortune in the world uncontrolled and unguided except through the agency of his own faculties. When he left home his capital amounted to thirteen dollars in cash. He went to Troy, New York, and engaged in a drug store, kept by Erastus Corning, for twelve dollars per month and board; this gentleman has since become President of the New York Central Railroad, and a member of the national Congress.

Wishing to enter upon some occupation where he could advance more rapidly in worldly thrift, Joshua B. Brant removed to Dutchess county, New York, and in partnership with a Mr. Snyder, commenced the distilling business, and in a short time amassed the sum of seven hundred dollars. When the war of 1812 became known through his neighborhood, he was busily engaged in the harvest field, cradling wheat; but burning to serve the country, for whose independence his father had fought, he left all employment, and prepared himself for the battle-field. He joined a detachment of troops at Rhinebeck, commanded by Captain H. W. Odell, that were proceeding to rendezvous at Greenbush, where he received the appointment of sergeant, February, 12, 1813, in the twenty-third regiment, commanded by Colonel Brown. From Greenbush the troops proceeded to Fort George, where there was a hard-fought battle; the vanguard of the American army being led by Colonel Scott, now General Scott, and commander-in-chief of the United States army. From Fort George the army proceeded to "Forty Mile Creek," where another battle was fought, and then retired into winter-quarters at Plattsburg.

During the war of 1812, Joshua B. Brant was in other battles than those we have mentioned. He was in the battles of Lundy's Lane, Fort George, Salter, and Fort Erie. In July, 1815, he was appointed by General Brown ensign of his regiment, which appointment was confirmed by the authorities at Washington the subsequent month, and the same year he was made second lieutenant, James Madison being president, and James Monroe secretary of war. During the intervening years from 1815 to 1838, he passed through all of the progressive stages of military promotion under Presidents Madison, Monroe. Adams, and Jackson, until he

-- 198 --

was appointed by President Van Buren lieutenant-colonel of the United States Army, in 1838.

Colonel Brant came to St. Louis in 1823, but was engaged in military duty until 1839, when he resigned. He took part in the various Indian wars in the West, and was also in Florida. Since 1839 he has devoted himself to his private pursuits, and was the first who had the spirit and enterprise to commence the erection of large buildings in St. Louis. He has always been a firm friend of his city, and by his individual efforts has contributed much to its adornment and prosperity.

Colonel Brant has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Elizabeth Lovejoy, of Stratford, Connecticut, whom he married January, 1818. She was the sister-in-law to General Leavenworth, so well known in the West. She bore him two children, one of whom is Henry B. Brant, of Booneville, Missouri. His second wife, whom he married December 31st, 1829, was Miss Sarah Benton, daughter of Samuel and Mary Benton, and niece of the illustrious statesman and author, Thomas H. Benton, who for many years represented the state of Missouri at Washington. Two children were the issue of this marriage, and a daughter is married to Doctor James McDowell, son of Governor McDowell, of Virginia, who is now consul-general at Constantinople.

Colonel Brant, by his business habits and talents has amassed a large fortune; yet, though he has been frugal, he never has been parsimonious in his manner of life, and with a liberal hand has dispensed his charities. He is a regular attendant at church, and for many years has been a member of the Presbyterian persuasion. Whatever of wealth and social position he has achieved, he owes it all to himself. He has been the architect of his own fortune, and his life will illustrate the old maxim, "where there is a will there is a way." Without injuring any one he has accomplished much; and as a soldier, a citizen, and a man, he deserves the esteem of posterity.

-- 201 --

Captain John J. Roe.

JOHN J. ROE was born April 18th, 1809, near Buffalo, New York. In 1815, his father removed to Cincinnati, then to Kentucky, and then to Rising Sun, Indiana, where he owned a ferry, and died in 1834.

After a few years spent in the country school-rooms, John J. Roe assisted his father in the labor of the farm, and also in the management of the ferry which he conducted. Two years previous to his father's death he went to the city of Cincinnati, and became engaged in various situations on steamboats, and was looked upon as one of the most efficient boatmen on the Ohio River, and on one occasion made a large profit for his employer, by acting as supercargo to Jacksonville, Tennessee.

John J. Roe, by his attention to business, and judgment, soon won the confidence and respect of all who knew him; and he gradually worked himself up the ladder of life until he became captain of a steamboat, and then owner. He then traded in boats for several years, commanding some of the finest that ran on the Ohio River; and at one time did a very lucrative business on Green River, in Kentucky. He built several fine boats; and having amassed a considerable fortune, he retired from business in 1844, and removed to St. Louis. After his removal to St. Louis he became largely engaged in the commission business, and the firm of Roe & Kercheval, then Hewitt, Roe & Co., then John J Roe & Co., were well known to all the business world of the West.

The position which Captain Roe has achieved he owes to his own efforts; and to his credit let it be told, that on the demise of his father, he was the support for many years of the whole family. In 1837, he married Miss Wright, daughter of Thomas Wright, of Cincinnati, and no one, more than he, appreciates the quiet enjoyment of domestic happiness. His rollicking good humor has made him most popular in the social circle, and his known business qualifications have caused him to be elected to fill many important functions. He has been a director in the Merchants' Insurance Company, is a director in the State Saving Institution, and President of the United States Insurance Company. By an industry that has never wavered, by an integrity that is unimpeached, he has gained esteem, position, and wealth, and if the youth of the rising generation would go and do likewise, they would in time achieve what he has done. One of the finest boats on the river is called by his name.

-- 202 --

General Nathan Ranney.

GENERAL NATHAN RANNEY was born in Bethlehem, a little village in the state of Connecticut, on the 27th of April, 1797. Reared in respectable circumstances, his early life was devoted to the cultivation of his mind, and to the inculcation of those business habits which have since made him so successful in life.

In 1812, when England sent to our shores her veteran armies, just victorious over the able marshals of Napoleon in Spain, young Ranney, then only sixteen years of age, animated by the patriotic fire which burned so vividly at that time in American bosoms, enlisted in the army contrary to the remonstrance of his friends, and refused to accept of a discharge which was procured for him by his paternal uncle, who was a colonel in the army; he had enlisted to fight for his country, and he was determined to do it.

This desire of serving his country in battle was soon gratified; for he was one of three hundred Americans who cut their way through a greatly superior British force near Plattsburgh, and was one of the forlorn hope who crossed the Saranac river right under the range of a British battery to a thick underbrush of dry pine. He was severely wounded in this gallant exploit; but in a little while after, wishing to distinguish himself by an act still more daring, he took twenty choice men, and in the dead hour of the night successfully surprised a town in possession of a large British force, and carried off three prisoners of rank, without the loss of a single man.

The gallant bearing of young Ranney soon won for him the respect of his commanding officers, and he was quickly promoted, first as a sergeant, and afterward as a provost marshal; and his conduct throughout the whole war showed that patriotism alone influenced his services, and not a love of military promotion. A few years after leaving the army, desirous of making for himself a name and fortune, he came to St. Louis in 1819, and commenced commercial pursuits.

In the year 1827, two important events occurred in his life, and which have greatly administered to his happiness — he married in that year Miss Amelia J. Shackford — and became likewise wedded to the Presbyterian church. His marriage has been blessed with a large family of children, and in the church of which he is such an efficient member, he has long been an elder. One of his daughters married Charles Hale, of St. Louis.

Though born in an Eastern state, and under a cold clime, General Ranney is neither a Northern nor a Southern maniac, but a conservative man, and his heart is as warm as a summer's sun. In 1836, General Ranney was appointed by Governor Dunklin, Brigadier-General in the Missouri Militia. In 1842, he was President pro tempore of the Board of Aldermen, and for years President of the Board of Public Schools. In 1851, he delivered an eloquent address at Burlington, Iowa, declaring himself a Union man. In 1855, he addressed the convention of the soldiers of 1812 at

-- 205 --

Philadelphia. In 1856, he spoke at a large American meeting in St. Louis; and there are very few his equal in a stump speech. In 1857, when the financial panic caused the money of other states to be refused, he called a meeting of merchants, and restored confidence in foreign currency, and thereby saved many frightened individuals from falling a prey to the money sharks, who, on such occasions, are always ready to make a glorious feast.

In his military career, General Ranney showed himself ready and fearless in action, patriotic in his aims, and kind and sympathizing as a soldier and as an officer. In political life he is never violent, but while he is firm and frank in the expression of his principles, he is, at all times, courteous to all holding opinions different from his own. In the civil positions which he has filled, he has been marked for his attention, his industry, and his clear and discriminating judgment; and any office he holds, he never makes it a sinecure, but holds it as a responsible trust, and attends, with the most scrupulous exactness, to its minutest details. As a friend, he is confiding and generous; and as a merchant, his present affluence, gathered amid the uncertain fluctuations of commercial life, is an evidence of the possession of the requisites adapted to that respectable but precarious pursuit.

With the exception of Mr. Henry Von Phul, senior, General Ranney is the oldest merchant in St. Louis now living, and the store and warehouse of Shackford and Ranney were, for a long time, the only buildings of the kind on the levee, consequently, he has been a resident of St. Louis from its infancy, and his exertions and example have helped its growth and assisted its advance. Though upward of threescore years of age, from his regular life he is still hale and vigorous, and is now the cashier and general agent of the St. Louis, Cairo, and New Orleans Railroad line of steamers, and is always to be found, during business hours, giving his attention to the important position he knows so well how to fill. He is President of the Missouri Bible Society, and in all of the relations of his diversified life there is not a stain resting upon his character.

-- 206 --

Theron Barnum.

THERON BARNUM was born April 23d, 1803, in Addison county, Vermont. His father, Stephen Barnum, was a fanner in humble circumstances, and had the usual blessing of a poor man, a round dozen of children. He emigrated from Connecticut, in 1808, to Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, where he continued his agricultural pursuits. Young Theron Barnum worked on the farm, and assisted his father until he was seventeen years of age, receiving in the mean time the indifferent instruction usually afforded by a country school. Wishing to cultivate his mind, and at the same time to earn a livelihood, young Barnum at the age of seventeen commenced teaching school, which took up six hours a day of his time; and so desirous was he for mental improvement, that he walked at night the distance of eight miles to a school taught by a proficient scholar, where he could receive proper instruction in English grammar, and the more advanced branches of English education.

For several years he pursued the vocation of teaching, and finding himself then, by his education, qualified to fill with credit almost any position, in 1824 he went to Wilkesbarre, and engaged as clerk in a store. He staid at that town till the year 1827, when he went to Baltimore at the request of his uncle, the late David Barnum, who gave Barnum's Hotel in Baltimore the deserved fame which it so long bore, of being "the best hotel in the United States." With much advantage to himself, he remained with his uncle in the capacity of confidential clerk, and became, under his able instruction, well instructed in the mystery of keeping a first class hotel. During the time he was with his uncle, there was a great celebration in Baltimore, caused by the opening of the first fifteen miles of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to Ellicotts' Mills. Mr. Barnum, with many thousands of others, visited the place, and, it being at that time a terminus, he determined to put into practical effect the experience he had gained in hotel-keeping, and opened what was long known as the Patapsco Hotel. So long as Ellicotts' Mills was a terminus the hotel did a swimming business. It was there that the stages received their passengers for the national road across the mountains, and on the arrival of the cars, the passengers for the West breakfasted with Mr. Barnum. In the summer, hundreds of citizens, attracted by the reputation of the hotel, and the natural loveliness of the romantic country, would come from the city in the morning, and after spending the day, would return in the evening.

Mr. Barnum remained at Ellicotts' Mills so long as it was a terminus and a harvest was to be gathered; and when these essentials ceased to exist, he sold out his establishment to Mr. A. McLaughlin, now one of the proprietors of Barnum's City Hotel, Baltimore. [8] Whilst at Ellicotts' Mills, in 1832, he married Miss Mary Lay Chadwick, daughter of Captain Chadwick, of Lime, Connecticut, who was a captain for some time on one

-- 209 --

of the large packets that coursed between New York and Liverpool. The fruit of this marriage was two sons, Freeman and Robert, both of whom are living.

In 1835, Mr. Barnum removed to Philadelphia, and bought the Philadelphia Hotel, located in Arch street, but having long before thought of arranging his business and starting for the West, he sold out in 1838, determining to settle in St. Louis, whose great future, from the force of location, he knew was evident. On his way to St. Louis he was induced to stop at Terre Haut, a thriving town in Indiana, and take charge of a hotel owned by Mr. Chauncey Hose; however, he did not long remain in that place, feeling convinced that though it would become a town of most respectable size and business, it would never support the kind of hotel of which he was desirous of becoming the head; so he removed to St. Louis in March, 1840, and rented the City Hotel, situated on Third and Vine streets. This hotel was a long time the favorite house of the public, and Mr. Barnum, during his proprietorship, enlarged and improved it to a considerable degree. He kept that hotel successfully for thirteen years, and in September, 1852, sold out.

The activity of Mr. Barnum's previous life precluded any thing like inaction, and in a short time, after selling out the City Hotel, he made an effort to raise a stock company, for the purpose of building a magnificent hotel at a cost of $300,000, which would be worthy of the great metropolis of the West; but his spirited efforts were not met with the encouragement they deserved, and the project was abandoned, though Mr. George Collier, Colonel Brant, and Mr. Swearergen, each subscribed the liberal sum of $25,000. Ho afterward took his present hotel, which was built by Mr. George R. Taylor, and admitted Mr. Fogg, who was his clerk, as partner. Mr. Barnum always adopts the safe plan of selecting his chief and responsible officers from the number of his numerous employes whose merits and talents fit them for superior positions; by this means he has well-tried, trustworthy, and efficient officers.

The furnishing of his hotel cost Mr. Barnum the large sum of $80,000. The house is well known throughout the United States, and the well-known reputation of Mr. Barnum is evinced by the crowd of arrivals which daily enjoy his accommodations; and in private life his integrity, his enterprise, his courtesy and generous disposition have made him universally loved and respected.

-- 210 --

Dr. Anderson.

THIS learned and eminent divine was born in Prince Edward's county, state of Virginia, December 5, 1814. His father, Stephen C. Anderson, was a respectable planter, and served as a magistrate of the commonwealth in which he resided. The early days of young Anderson were spent upon the farm of his father, and usually attending the little village school of the place, which afforded him instruction in the common branches of an English education; and with the aid of a tutor he was instructed in the mysteries of the Latin and Greek languages, until 1831; he then went to the University of Ohio, at Athens, and from there to Andover, Indiana, and graduated in 1835.

After having, by the study of years, formed the groundwork on which he could build any profession, young Anderson, following the bent of his inclinations, which had long fostered a love for religious pursuits, went to the Union Theological Seminary, for the purpose of fitting himself for the duties of the ministry. After passing through the fall course suitable to his future calling, Mr. Anderson went to Oxford, North Carolina, where he remained one year: and receiving an invitation from Danville, Virginia, he accepted the call, and for five years preached to a respectable and continually-increasing congregation. From Danville he removed to Norfolk, where he soon became most popular in his calling. The fame of his learning, his piety, and his effective delivery from the pulpit, soon spread beyond the precincts of the little city in which he lived, and his name became associated with the constellation of ministers whose talents can best invest Religion with her true and heavenly attributes.

After remaining in Norfolk for five years, Dr. Anderson came to St. Louis in 1857, and engaged as the pastor of the Central Church, which at that time was far from being in a flourishing condition. Nothing discouraged, he went earnestly to work, and by the daily example of a well regulated life, and by precepts from the pulpit, bathed in the Hyblaean dew of eloquence, he awakened emotions in hearts which had before remained indifferent to the duties of religion, and by degrees the congregation increased in number, and the church was soon relieved from the debt which had so long oppressed it. The church is now in the most prosperous condition.

Dr. Anderson was married April 9th, 1840, to Miss Lucy A. Jones, of Nottaway county, Virginia, and the domestic fireside and ministerial duties form the elements of his happiness. The secret of his success as a preacher is owing to his earnestness of manner, to the strength and purity of his language, and the possession of true piety, which gives that genial glow to his discourse, which, by sympathetic fervor, invites the listener to partake of the pure joys which spring from a religious life. He lives, and has lived, to good purpose, and his watchfulness over his congregation shows that he truly acts the part of a good shepherd to his flock.

-- 215 --

Sullivan Blood. President of the Boatmens' Savings Institution.

THE subject of this memoir was born in the town of Windsor, state of Vermont, on the 24th of April, 1795. His life has been one of progression; and, as we follow him from his humble commencement in the city of St. Louis, and see how step by step he has risen to position and affluence, we feel that his biography will exert a salutary influence; and many an ambitious youth, denied the influence of friends and wealth, will be encouraged to fight manfully and hopefully the great battle of life.

The parents of Sullivan Blood were natives of Massachusetts, and emigrated to Vermont, then called the new state, in 1793, there lived upon a farm, and both died during the years 1813 and 1814. Two years after losing his parents, Sullivan Blood, who always possessed an enterprising and ambitious mind, determined to emigrate to the far West, and there manfully to work out his destiny. After examining thoroughly on the map the different locations, he selected that of the city of St. Louis as the most proper place to commence his fortune, and in 1817 fixed his residence in that spot. St. Louis, at that time, was just passing the barrier in municipal existence which divides the village from a town, and according to an edict issued by the authorities, a night-watch was appointed the following year, and among the number of candidates for the new appointment Mr. Blood was elected as one of the watchmen; but when he became known, and his character and talents appreciated, he was soon exalted to the position of captain.

During the time that Captain Blood held his responsible position, the property of the city and citizens was well protected from the thief, the burglar, and the incendiary; and so efficient was he in the discharge of his duties, that he retained the position of captain for the space of some years. After remaining six years in St. Louis, Captain Blood determined to revisit the Green Mountain state, and, during his visit, married Miss Sophia Hall, whose mother still survives, at the venerable age of ninety-one years.

Captain Blood was a constable in the city for ten years; and served in the capacity of deputy sheriff during the terms of Robert Simpson and John R. Walker. In 1833, he was elected an alderman from the second ward, and served one year. Beyond this, Captain Blood has not been identified with political life, which he knew would interfere with his private business and domestic happiness. He has often been solicited to become the candidate for many important offices, but for the reasons we have given, has always declined political interference. Captain Blood early turned his attention to steamboating, and in the palmy days of steamboat navigation, before railroads had crossed the western prairies, he became engaged in the trade between New Orleans and St. Louis, and plentifully gathered of the harvest which belonged to

-- 216 --

those who were engaged in the profitable pursuit of steamboating. He built two boats, both of which he commanded, and by the kindness of his disposition, and the amenities of his manners, the boats he commanded became the general favorites of the travelling and commercial world. Many citizens of St. Louis, and inhabitants of all parts of the Union can call up pleasant reminiscences, while a passenger in the boats commanded by the careful and friendly Captain Blood. He probably knew the Mississippi, during the time he was an officer on its waters, as well as any pilot engaged upon it.

The circumstance of Captain Blood being once a boatman, and his popularity with all who followed that profession, made it proper that he should be appointed a director in the "Boatmens' Saving Institution," which was created with especial reference to the wants, and for the benefit of that numerous class of individuals who follow the western rivers as a means of subsistence. It was thought that the name would enlist the attention of numerous hardworking but improvident individuals, who might be induced to deposit a small portion of their hard-earned money, and by that means contract habits of calculation, and a desire to create a store on which they could draw, should some malady assail them, or old age render them unfit for manual exertion. From the very first, Captain Blood became the supporter and friend of this institution, which, from an humble commencement, has become one of the most extensive and favorite moneyed institutions in St. Louis.

The confidence reposed in an institution necessarily arises from the character of its officers; and Captain Blood was appointed a director in 1847, and during the last five years has been its president, and the weight of his character is manifested by the popularity of the institution. He has always been a working man, and still works, enjoying a "green old age." He has not frittered away his time either in visionary impossibilities or slothful inaction, but "honorable labor" has been the maxim of his life, and to it he is indebted for the worldly comforts he possesses in the decline of his life; and to his industry, integrity, philanthropy, and domestic virtues, he owes the tribute of respect that is paid to his character.

-- 219 --

John A. Brownlee, President of the Merchants' Bank.

JOHN A. BROWNLEE was born May 8th, 1819, at Basking Ridge, state of New Jersey. His father, the Rev. William C. Brownlee, D. D., was an eminent Divine, and a most accomplished scholar, being a graduate of the University at Glasgow, Scotland, and, immediately on entering the ministry, removed to this country, and first commenced his ministerial labors in the state of Pennsylvania, as a Presbyterian minister. His thorough and varied learning, and the earnest devotion to the sect whose creed he had chosen to follow and advocate, soon gave him distinction in the literary world, and made him the champion of his religious order.

Besides filling with distinction various posts in his ministerial calling, the Rev. Dr. Brownlee was distinguished as an author in various departments of learning, and, at one time, was the President of Rutger's College, New Brunswick, of which the Hon. Theodore Frelinghuysen is now the head. Dr. Brownlee removed to New York in 1825, and became one of the associate ministers of the Reformed Dutch Church, and was considered the ablest pulpit orator of the day. It was while he was pastor of the Presbyterian church at Basking Ridge, that his son, John A. Brownlee, the subject of this memoir, was born.

As far as social position, paternal influence, and the well-wishes of troops of friends could subserve him, John A. Brownlee was born under the most favorable auspices. The position of his father gave him every opportunity of early improving his mind, and storing it with knowledge that might fit him for future usefulness. After receiving a liberal education, young Brownlee selected commercial pursuits as his business calling in life, and went to New York city, where he was engaged in the extensive wholesale silk house kept by Throckmorton & Co., and there remained for three years. Being of an aspiring disposition, which prompted him to be at the head of the avocation he had chosen, he determined to remove from New York and seek in the West a more favorable field, where to found his fortune and gratify his ambition.

Chicago, the Queen City of the lakes, had just commenced to attract attention, and John A. Brownlee removed to the then embryo city, where he remained one year, and then went to St. Louis, in 1839, where he believed the business inducements to be greatest. In St. Louis he commenced as dry goods clerk in the house of P. E. Blow, which soon after became known as the firm of Blow & Labaume.

By his business capacity, his integrity, and successful management, Mr. Brownlee soon won the respect and confidence of his employers, and by degrees passed through all the progressive stages of advancement until he became a partner in the establishment he entered as clerk, and the firm was conducted by him and his associate, Mr. L. B. Shaw; nearly at this time he was joined in marriage to Miss Ridgely, of Baltimore. At the death of Mr. Shaw, the entire business was purchased by Mr. Brownlee,

-- 220 --

which he conducted solely for some time, until the present firm of Brownlee, Homer & Company was organized.

The ruling desire of Mr. Brownlee's life appears to have been to gain the highest round of usefulness in business life; and his present position his wealth, integrity, and influence, show how well he has accomplished his wishes. He is President of the Millers & Manufacturers' Insurance Company, and is the head of one of the most respectable moneyed institutions in the state, being President of the Merchants' Bank. He has never wished to stray from the business orbit; has never sought the uncertain honors which belong to political controversy; and only on one occasion do we find that he took an active part in the turbulent scenes of party faction, and that was when he was president of the state council of the American party. His sphere in life has been of a quiet and useful nature, and he is well and honorably known in the city of his adoption. His high moral worth, connected with his business capacity and rare intelligence, has given him an influence among all classes of citizens, who yield to his opinions, and readily submit to his judgment.

John A. Brownlee is only at the meridian of life, and with his mind stored with information, and rich in experience, and possessing a constitution vigorous and healthful, he has the promise of a long future of usefulness.

-- 223 --

Henry Ames.

THE subject of this memoir was born in Oneida county, New York, March 4, 1818. His father, Nathan Ames, was engaged for some time in agricultural pursuits, until, in 1828, he came to the city of Cincinnati, and engaged in the pork-packing business. His two sons, Henry and Edgar, who are all of the children that are living, were sent early to school, and taught thoroughly the useful branches of an English education. That accomplished, they were taken into the establishment of their father, and instructed carefully in all the duties connected with the pork-packing business.

In 1841, Mr. Nathan Ames, the father, believing that St. Louis, from her geographical position, would, in time, become the great metropolis of the West, and far outstrip the city in which he was located, established himself in the growing town in the same business he had pursued in Cincinnati, and died in 1852, aged fifty-six years, respected for his many virtues.

Henry Ames had been connected with his father as early as 1833, and for many years floated down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers on flatboats laden for the New Orleans market. At that time the Mississippi was filled with snags, and the navigation was most perilous. Henry Ames narrowly escaped with his life on several occasions, from his boat coming in contact with these obstructions, and rapidly sinking. He was looked upon, even when a boy, by the business men who knew him, as possessing all the elements suitable for the avocation he pursued; and many predicted that he would in time attain the first rank in his business, and stand at its head. That prophecy is already fulfilled; for we believe that Henry Ames & Co., are the largest beef and pork packers in the Union.

Henry Ames was married February, 1855, to Mrs. McCloud, daughter of Doctor Scudder. He is one of the most honorable and liberal of men; and his enterprise and business capacity are undoubted. He has been, and is, connected with many offices of trust and importance. He has been President of the Chamber of Commerce for two years, is Vice-President of the State Saving Institution, is a director in the Merchants' Insurance Company, in the United States Insurance Company, and other institutions. Still young and in the prime of manhood, he has already garnered wealth and reputation, without creating the envy which so usually accompanies success. He has won golden opinions from all, and there are none but who respect his name, and appreciate his character.

-- 224 --

Henry T. Blow, President of the Collier White-Lead Oil Company.

HENRY T. BLOW was born July 15, 1817, in Southampton county, Virginia. He is descended from a very ancient English family, and can trace his lineage to the days of the unfortunate Charles I. He has a portrait of one of his ancestors, John Blow, who was an eminent musician and composer of music at that time, hung in his parlor. Captain Peter Blow, his father, was a respectable planter in Virginia, and removed for a brief time to Alabama, and from thence to St. Louis in 1830, and became proprietor of what was known as the Jefferson Hotel. He died a year afterward universally lamented. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Taylor, of an old Virginian family, and had twelve children, six of whom are living, Peter, Henry, Taylor, Elizabeth, William, and Mrs. Joseph Charless. The gentlemen are all highly esteemed for their business qualifications, integrity, and intelligence, in the localities where they reside.

Henry T. Blow, the subject of this biography, was early sent to school, and had all the advantages of early mental culture, being designed by his father for the profession of the law. He graduated at the St. Louis University, an institution which has always been eminent for its thorough scholarship; and having given up all ideas of the legal profession, he obtained the situation of clerk in the drug establishment of Messrs. Joseph Charless & Son.

Mr. Blow was always remarkable for his industry, his energy, and ambition to excel in business pursuits. He very soon became indispensable to the establishment of his employers, and in 1836, after the elder Mr. Charless retired, he was taken as partner in the house by the son, and the firm was known as Charless & Blow. The firm did a very heavy and lucrative business, till 1839, when Mr. Charless wishing to retire, Mr. Blow bought out his interest, and became sole owner of the drug store. This continued until 1840, when Mr. Charless again became a partner, and the firm became Joseph Charless & Company. The business soon became much enlarged, and the White-Lead Works, which formed the commencement of the present Collier White-Lead and Oil Company were connected with their business.

In 1844, Mr. Blow and Mr. Charless dissolved partnership; the former having determined to carry on the White-Lead Works which he had set apart for himself on the dissolution of copartnership; Mr. Charless still carrying on the drug-store. Fortune had always been propitious to Mr. Blow, but she became lavish of her favors; for in the short period of tour years after his sole possession of the White-Lead Works he amassed all the wealth he desired, and then determined to retire, having an ample fortune. He applied for an act of incorporation of the White-Lead Works, and a charter was granted under the style of the Collier White Lead

-- 227 --

Lead and Oil Company. From the very commencement in its corporate character, Mr. Blow has been its President, and the works do a business of immense magnitude and profit.

Mr. Blow was married July 15, 1840, to Miss Grimsley, the accomplished daughter of Thornton Grimsley, Esq., of St. Louis. He has never been an ardent politician, and never had much relish for the feverish excitement of political life, yet he yielded to the earnest importunities of his friends, and was elected to the state senate for four years. He was a hard-working and efficient member, and took an active part in all the important measures that were agitated. Whilst at Jefferson City he was chairman of the committee on banks and corporations.

Mr. Blow has been one of the directors of the Iron Mountain Railroad, and through his efficient exertion, assisted by others who possessed a taste for the fine arts, the Western Academy of Art came into being. This institution has been brought into existence by its corporators with much labor and expense, so as to form and encourage a taste for a love of the beautiful. Such an institution was much needed in St. Louis, and it will form a nucleus around which will cluster the votaries of art, who will contribute generously to its advance, and its refining influence will direct the sensibilities of the inhabitants in more delicate channels, and encourage a love of the elegant. Mr. Blow is president of the institution.

Mr. Blow has always taken a prominent part in the affairs of the Agricultural and Mechanical Association, now so widely known throughout the Union, and has been one of its most efficient officers since its incorporation. During the last Fair of 1858, so as to create a general emulation among the architects of St. Louis, he offered, as a private premium, the sum of two hundred dollars for the best plan of a suburban residence, the cost not exceeding $20,000. He is well known to the citizens of St. Louis; and in connection with his acknowledged business qualifications, he is highly esteemed for his moral attributes. He is now in the full vigor of manhood, and has already accomplished what most men lay out as the work of a protracted life — "wealth, honor, and the good-will of all men."

-- 228 --

Rev. Dr. M. McAnally.

THIS well-known Methodist divine, journalist, and author, was born in Granger county, Tennessee, February 17, 1810. His parents, Charles and Elizabeth McAnally, came to the state of Tennessee when it was almost a wild, and soon became possessed of a very large tract of land in that fertile state. Charles McAnally was a Christian and Methodist preacher for forty years, and died at an advanced ago in 1849. His son, the subject of this sketch, had the advantage in early years of a fine private school, and early evinced an inclination for study and the pursuit of letters. He occasionally worked on the farm, which served to complete his physical development; and after receiving a proper preliminary education, he commenced the study of the law, which he abandoned afterward for that of the ministry.

At the early age of nineteen, young McAnally commenced his labors from the pulpit, and in November, 1831, was ordained with full powers of the ministry. He was remarkably successful in making friends and proselytes; and his ardent zeal, and impassioned delivery, and his effective reasoning made him one of the most popular preachers of the Methodist persuasion. He preached in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and other places, until 1843, when he received the appointment of President of the Female Institute at Knoxville, over which he successfully presided for eight years; and the fame of the institution drew pupils from Maine to Texas. It remains to this day a first class seminary.

In 1851, the Rev. Dr. M. McAnally came to St. Louis, at the invitation of the St. Louis and Missouri Annual Conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to conduct the Christian Advocate, and take charge of the books published by his church. The concern was started with a capital of $1,800, and it soon became so profitable, that in 1853, the publishing business was connected with the bookstore, and a large quantity of standard works, equal in typographical excellence to any coming from the large establishments in the East, have already been published. There have been more than 100,000 volumes issued by the concern since it went into existence. The house does a most extensive business throughout the West, and belongs to the St. Louis, Missouri, and Kansas Conferences.

Dr. McAnally's connection with the Christian Advocate, so widely circulated is well known. He is a fearless and lucid writer, and disseminates those doctrines which he believes will exert the most salutary influence over the temporal and eternal welfare of his fellow beings.

-- 233 --

George Partridge.

THE subject of this memoir was born March 27, 1809, at Walpole, Massachusetts. He was the son of honorable parents, who still are living at Templeton, in the state of Massachusetts. His father, Ezekiel Partridge, was a farmer, and George, who was one of twelve children, was early initiated in the mysteries of agriculture, and faithfully assisted his father in the cultivation of the farm till he was seventeen years of age, a small portion of time being given to his education. He had time to go to the country school in the winter — the rest of the year was devoted to hard work. When he arrived at the age of seventeen, being anxious to commence a start in life, he taught a little school during two winters, by which he earned a few extra dollars.

In 1828, an unexpected misfortune diminished very much the resources of his father, and George Partridge had to sever himself from parental guiding-strings, and seek a livelihood in the world among strangers. Though brave at heart, and early confident in himself, it was not without a full heart and moistened eye that he took leave of the parental roof, and went to Boston to seek his fortune. His cash capital on reaching Boston amounted to thirteen dollars, and consequently he could not delay in selecting what to do, as his means would soon become exhausted. He must commence work at once, or starvation would be the result; so he commenced, as the quickest mode of turning over his capital, the sale of books and papers, and also procuring subscriptions for the same. This was an almost starving occupation, and young George Partridge soon forsook it, when he was offered a situation in a grocery store, at a salary of fifty dollars a year and board. He remained in that employment for some time, and finding that, with all his economy, he could scarcely save enough to purchase his clothes, he resolved to start, if possible, in business himself, if he could get credit for his stock of goods. His industry, honesty, and attention to business had been noticed by business men, and he found no difficulty in procuring credit, and started his fortunes with a stock of goods, and a store at four hundred dollars rent, in which first investment he was very fortunate. He remained at that time in the grocery business eight years, the last years of the time engaged solely in the wholesale trade.

All who have reached the meridian of life must recollect the terrible financial crisis which visited the country in 1837, and swept from existence in the business world firms which before appeared to possess all the elements of healthful endurance. Amid the business prostration which was everywhere around him, George Partridge stood unmoved by the shock. His neighbors suspended payment, but he was always ready to cancel his debts.

It was the custom of groceries in those days, as now, to do a large liquor business, which formed the most lucrative portion of the trade, and finding if he did not sell that important article in Boston, that he could not keep

-- 234 --

pace with other grocers, Mr. Partridge sold out in June, 1838, and resolved on trying his fortunes in the Far-west.

After leaving Boston he went to Burlington, a thriving town in Iowa, where he established a large grocery house, which went under the name of Bridgeman & Partridge, and did a lucrative business. Whilst in Iowa Mr. Partridge made an effort to establish a Unitarian society, but there were too few of that popular sect in Burlington and its vicinity to form a congregation, so the project was unsuccessful. Thriving as the town of Burlington is, Mr. Partridge wanted an ampler field, so he came to St. Louis, and bought a copartnership in the firm of Smith and Brother, and commenced the grocery and commission business, under the firm of Partridge & Company, and one of the conditions of the partnership expresses that no alcoholic liquor is to be sold.

Mr. Partridge has been twice married. In March 27, 1834, he was married to Miss Elmira Kenney, and on January 6, 1858, to Mrs. Clarace C. Cotter of Boston. From a long course of successful business pursuits, he has won for himself the confidence of all business men, and filled many important positions. He is a director in the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad, also one in the State Saving Association, and was one of the Board of Public Schools, which he held for five years; took an active part in the building of the Unitarian Church; one of the trustees of Washington University, and most efficient in procuring the erection of the new Female Institute, the Mary Academy, to be connected with it; and is connected in divers ways with other institutions.

The charity of Mr. Partridge is munificent and unostentatious, and when one of the eleemosynary institutions of our city was in debt five hundred dollars, he paid the amount out of his own pocket, without requiring the public journals to sound the charity in their thousands of distributions. He is now approaching the "sear and yellow leaf" of life, but he is surrounded with troops of friends.

In March 31, 1859, the parents of Mr. Partridge celebrated at his house their "golden wedding," having been married fifty years, and lived happily in that relationship.

-- 237 --

William Glasgow, Jr., President of the Missouri Wine Company.

WILLIAM GLASGOW, Jr., was born at Christiana, state of Delaware, July 4, 1813. Some five years after his birth, his parents, James and Ann Glasgow, removed from that state to Missouri, and settled at Chariton, and removed from there to St. Louis in 1836.

William Glasgow, Jr., was the second child, and he received the rudiments of his education at Chariton, but on attaining a proper age, was sent to a fine school in Wilmington, state of Delaware, where he remained three years completing his education. After leaving school he commenced business in that town, where he remained until 1836, and, joining his father, came to St. Louis.

After a residence of some years in Missouri, William Glasgow became convinced that the soil of a large portion of the state was adapted to the growth of the grape. He drew his conclusions from the nature of the soil, the climate, and the plenty and luxuriance with which the wild grape abounded and flourished in almost every locality. So well convinced was he of the fact that the grape could be successfully cultivated, that he planted a small vineyard at his present residence, in 1844, amid the jeers of many who derided the idea that wine could be made in Missouri. However, the crop was an abundant one, and the experiment even surpassed the expectations of Mr. Glasgow. This was the first vineyard ever established in the state of Missouri, and to Mr. Glasgow belongs the credit of introducing into the state an article of agriculture, which will soon rank as one of its staples, and become one of the chief elements of wealth and national industry. Mr. Glasgow, in 1847, obtained the first premium for grapes and wine that was conferred by any society in the state of Missouri. It is natural for man to link himself with successful measures; and finding that the cultivation of the grape would prove profitable, in 1853 there was formed a company called William Glasgow, Jr., & Company, which consisted of William Glasgow, Jr., Amadee Vallé, and Allen H. Glasby, for the purpose of manufacturing wine from grape produced in Missouri, on an extensive scale. The company obtained a charter in 1855, under the name of the Missouri Wine Company, with a cash capital of $65,000, and Mr. Glasgow was chosen President, which office he still holds. The fame of the wine now extends over both hemispheres.

Mr. Glasgow was married April 16, 1840, to Miss Sarah L. Lane, daughter of Dr. William Carr Lane, first mayor of St. Louis. He has the confidence and respect which the purity of his character so well deserves.

-- 238 --

Previous section

Next section


Edwards, Richard; Hopewell, M.; Ashley, William; Barry, James G.; Belt and Priest; Casey, John; Hall, W.; Labaum, Louis A.; Leduc, Mary Philip; Lisa, Manuel; O'Fallon, Benjamin; Piernas; Port Folio; Risley, W.; Stoddard, Amos; Williams, Henry W.; Yore, John E. Edwards's Great West and Her Commercial Metropolis, Embracing a General View of the West, and a Complete History of St. Louis, from the Landing of Ligueste, in 1764, to the Present Time; with Portraits and Biographies of Some of the Old Settlers, and Many of the Most Prominent Buisiness Men . St. Louis: Office of Edwards's Monthly, A Journal of Progress, 1860. [format: book], [genre: biography; history; letter; narrative]. Permission: St. Louis Mercantile Library
Persistent link to this document: http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/file.php?file=edwards.html
Powered by PhiloLogic