|Lincoln/Net||Prairie Fire||Illinois During the Civil War||Illinois During the Gilded Age||Mark Twain's Mississippi||Back to Digitization Projects||Contact Us|
Taylor, Jacob N; Crooks, M. O. Sketch Book of St. Louis: Containing a Series of Sketches of the Early Settlement, Public Buildings, Hotels, Railroads, Steamboats, Foundry and Machine Shops, Mercantile Houses, Grocers, Manufacturing Houses, Etc . St. Louis: George Knapp and Co, 1858. [format: book], [genre: guidebook; narrative]. Permission: Tulane University
Among our public buildings the first to present itself is, of course, the Court House. This building is only partly finished, and is now receiving some large additions designed to accommodate the various courts that sit here, and the offices attached to them. The building, which is massive and durable as brick, stone and iron can make it, presents a front on four streets, Market, Chesnut, Fourth and Fifth, and will be, when completed, the finest building in the United States. The appearance of the different fronts is very imposing, and strikes the eye with fine effect. From the dome, one of the most beautiful of nature's panoramas is to be seen. The eye can take in at a glance the extent of territory spread out for miles upon every side. The city lies at your feet, with its busy and industrious population; the river, with its dark bosom dotted by palatial steamers, flows by on the east; the long trains of cars as they thunder along through the American Bottom; the hills which rear their brows against the sky in the west all combine to render the scene lovely and picturesque. The cost of this building will be upwards of $1,000,000.
This building is in course of completion, and will probably be finished during the present year. It is built of Missouri marble, and is intended to be fire proof. When completed it will add much to the appearance of Third street and be an honor to the city.
This literary Institution, situated in an agreeable and airy part of the city of St. Louis, was founded in 1829 by members of the Society of Jesus, was incorporated by an act of the State Legislature in 1832, under the name and style of the "St. Louis UNIVERSITY," and empowered to confer degrees and academical honors in all the learned professions, and generally to have and "enjoy all the powers, rights and privileges exercised by literary institutions of the same rank." It has experienced uninterrupted prosperity, and has progressively improved so as to offer advantages not surpassed in the West.
The Institution possesses a valuable Museum, which contains a great variety of specimens both of nature and of art, collected from various quarters of the Globe, but especially from our own country; also a, very beautiful and complete Philosophical and Chemical Apparatus. The Library belonging to the Institution numbers over 15,000 volumes, embracing almost every branch of literature and science, and containing many very rare and interesting works. The select libraries, open to the students, form a collection of over 3,000 volumes.
To improve the students in public speaking, debating societies have been organized, and for years have been in very successful operation. To add solemnity to the celebration of
religious, national and literary festivals, and to afford the qualified student the advantages of performing a part in concert music, the Philharmonic Society has been established.
Under the guidance of Father Koning, the polite and gentlemanly Professor of Chemistry, we spent a couple of hours in looking through the Library and Museum. We found many quaint and ancient volumes, some printed as long ago as 1542. We were shown a MS. that was written before the invention of printing. The execution of it was faultless, the characters being German text, the coloring being black, blue, pink and gold; all of which, with the exception of the black, (which begins to fade,) looks as bright as new, while the parchment has the appearance of great age. In the Museum we were shown the dagger of Cortez, the conqueror of Mexico. This is a beautiful specimen of antiquarian mechanism. The blade, which is about fourteen inches long, is composed of two pieces nicely fitted together; a spring secreted in the hilt causes the two divisions of the blade to separate, showing the reservoir wherein the poison was secreted. Take it for all in all, it is a formidable looking weapon.
No person should visit St. Louis without examining this institution, as it is one of the most attractive places in the city.
Few buildings anywhere can excel, in massiveness and beauty, the "Church of the Messiah," on Olive street, under the pastoral charge of Mr. ELIOT. This house and ground is said to have cost $100,000, and yet there is nothing gaudy about it; it is built of brick and iron, of which metal there was used in the construction of this noble edifice some seventy tons of pig iron. It is of a very imposing appearance; the material is the very best hard brick, with heavy grouted walls, on the construction
of which no pains or expense was spared every part built to last for ages, to go down to posterity as a monument to be admired. We have never witnessed such extra pains in securing a good and excellent job, as was manifested in the erection of this large edifice. It was not built by contract, but all the material was selected by the committee, and all parts done under their supervision by the workmen employed for the purpose. The ground plat is about ninety by some one hundred and twenty feet, and about seventy-five feet high, surmounted by a beautifully proportioned spire one hundred and sixty-seven feet high. The internal finish corresponds with the external, and is really beautiful, tasteful, yet devoid of glitter or mere show.
On Locust street towers up, in stateliness and solemn grandeur, the Union Presbyterian Church, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Mr. HOMES. This edifice is unlike in its style of architecture any other church in the city, indeed any we have ever seen. It is said to be the pure "Lombardic style," and its solemn appearance, with its internal beauty, produces a fine effect. This house was commenced in 1852, the Society having been organized in 1850, and dedicated to the worship of God in January, 1854. The building is about eighty feet wide by about one hundred and twenty feet deep, and the main church room is some sixty-three feet by one hundred. The pews, of which there are one hundred and seventy-six, are capable of seating some nine hundred persons on the main floor, exclusive of gallery for choir and organ, and the height from floor to ceiling is about sixty-two feet. This church has two towers, according to its style of architecture, one on either side the one is one hundred and four, the other one hundred and sixty feet high. The organ in this church is doubtless the finest insturment
in the West, and cost, it is said, some $5,000; while the cost of the entire edifice, we have heard, is $70,000. This magnificent edifice, we have been told, was built entirely at the expense of H. D. BACON, Esq.; the Society, of which he was one of the members, not being called on to do anything towards paying for it until after it was finished and dedicated. He then proposed that if they would raise $30,000, he would make a deed of the entire property to the Trustees of the Society, making his donation for the object $40,000. This noble proposition was met by the friends of the church, and we recollect to have heard it said at the time, that the whole $30,000 was promptly raised within three days after Mr. Bacon made the proposal. Thus was this magnificent edifice relieved, by this benevolence, from any pecuniary embarrassment.
This church, of which the Rev. Mr. NELSON is pastor, is situated on Lucas Place, and is probably the finest church in the Western States. The building is eighty-four feet front by one hundred and thirty feet deep, and has been built and furnished in the most artistic manner, with a tower and spire two hundred and twenty-five feet high. This is much the tallest spire in the city, independent of the consideration that the church is located on about the highest ground within the city limits. This spire is visible in every direction for many miles, and presents a splendid appearance. There are many novel, yet useful, improvements made in the construction and equipment of this noble structure, the cost of which, we have been informed, was over one hundred thousand dollars. This church was mainly erected through the exertions of the lamented Rev. Dr. Bullard, who lost his life in the Gasconade tragedy.
Of which the Rev. SAMUEL PARSONS is pastor, is located on the corner of Eighth street and Washington avenue. This splendid church is sixty-five feet wide, one hundred and six in length, and seventy-four feet in height. The upper floor, or main audience room, is about sixty feet wide by one hundred long, having a height of about forty feet, and capable of seating from one thousand to twelve hundred persons. It is a plain but very substantial building, is handsomely finished, and is in every way well adapted to the purpose for which it is designed. While under the charge of the Rev. Mr. Parsons this church became a favorite resort of our church-going community.
This institution is now in course of erection, the corner stone having been laid in the summer of 1857. This is intended to be in the nature of a high school for boys and girls rather something between the ideal high school and the college. It is to be an institution of learning of a high order. The public are indebted to the Rev. Mr. ELIOT for his spirited efforts in establishing this institution. The grounds selected for the college buildings are at the head of Washington avenue. Connected with this, as a department, is to be "The O'Fallon Industrial Institute for Boys," where all who are unable to procure a good plain education may be boarded and taught gratis. The feature, however, of this department is, that every boy is to be also instructed in such mechanical branch as the bent of his mind or inclination may suggest. Here mechanism will be taught in all its branches, not only in theory but in practice. Proficients in the various branches will be employed, and shops erected for the various branches, and the whole will be a regular
school for the gratuitous, yet thorough, instruction of all youth, both orphans and others, who may desire, by the acquisition of mechanical knowledge, to fit themselves for useful stations in society. All who attend this school are to be on an equality, so far as payment for services rendered is concerned; the work done may pay, perhaps, for the material used, but all are to live together and be supported alike; and, for the purpose of meeting the expense, we understand, Col. O'Fallon has set apart lands and lots now valued at upwards of $50,000. All who may wish to enjoy the advantage of this school will not only be required to conform with all its regulations, but to bring with them the best testimonials both as to industry, morality and probity. The whole will be under the personal supervision of the officers of the Washington Institute.
This school is supported by the voluntary contributions of the ladies who have taken it in hand, and such donations as they may receive for the purpose. They take those little girls that may be found about the city, whose parents pay but little if any attention to them. They do not propose to interfere with the legitimate office of the "Orphan Asylums," but if the children taken there are orphans, they do the best they can to make provision for them, until other arrangements are made. The little ones are taken to the house they are cleaned, combed and neatly though plainly dressed, and all the morning is devoted to teaching them to spell and read and write; at noon, they all partake of a good dinner together, and the afternoon is employed in teaching them all the household duties to sew, knit, wash, cook, &c., so that they may ultimately sustain themselves. At night, they all go to their various homes, except those few who, for certain periods, are required to remain in the
house at night; and as the performance of the severalduties is alternated, so all in their turn perform every part. Thus these children will obtain lessons in the practical duties of life, while habits of personal cleanliness and attention will be induced, much to the ultimate good of all who are there educated. The lady who has charge of these children seems well qualified for her difficult task; kindness and attention appear to be the means of her success, and I doubt not great good will be the result of this benevolent effort.
This enterprise has only been in operation for about four years, yet it has done wonders, and promises still further to grow and prosper in the good graces of the people. They are now occupying commodious buildings on Morgan street.
Which stands on the corner of Chesnut and Second streets, is a handsome brick edifice, and answers the purpose for which it is used very well, although it is not sufficiently large for the increasing business. As soon as the Custom House is completed the Post Office will be removed to apartments provided in that building. The present Postmaster has had a difficult task to perform, but has rendered pretty general satisfaction by the faithful manner in which he has discharged his duties.
The buildings of this institution are situated on the corner of Twentieth and Morgan streets, and are handsome and commodious, the main building being a superior edifice, and is in every way creditable to the State. Although unfinished, they are occupied and contain now about forty inmates, with capacity for one hundred. The pupils generally seem to be as happy and contented with their lot as could be expected; they possess
much information and are making rapid progress in their studies. In music, particularly, many of them excel. This institution has only been established a little over six years, but promises to exert a wide influence in bestowing benefits upon those unfortunate youths who are deprived of their eyesight. The affairs of the institution are controlled by a board of trustees, while the immediate supervision of the pupils is left to the fostering care of the kind and efficient Mr. E. W. Whelan, assisted by his accomplished wife.
This is the largest church, in the city, of any denomination. It is a massive stone building, and has a truly ecclesiastical appearance. The front is of polished free stone, and fifty feet in height. It has a fine portico, supported by four columns of the Doric order, with corresponding entablature, frieze cornice and pediment. The spire rests upon a stone tower, which rises from the foundation to a height of forty feet above the pediment, and is twenty feet square. The shape of the spire is octagon, and is surmounted by a gilt ball and cross ten feet high. There is a splendid chime of bells, (the largest in the city,) consisting of three weighing severally 3,600, 1,900 and 1,500 pounds. In the tower is also a very large clock, which strikes the hours and quarters on the bells. The interior of the church, though not showy, evinces true ecclesiastical taste. The splendid altar piece, representing the Descent from the Cross (a copy from Rubens), first strikes the eye. This was painted by Mr. Pomerade, a St. Louis artist of the highest standing. The altar itself is very chaste and beautiful. On the west side is the throne of the Archbishop, over which is a large and splendid canopy. Opposite the throne, on the other side of the sanctuary, is a fine painting of St. Louis, presented by Louis XVIII, King of
France, in 1818, to Bishop Du Bourgh, who then ruled this Diocese. There is a chapel of the Blessed Virgin on the east side, and one of St. Bartholomew the Apostle on the west, containing paintings of the Holy Virgin and the Apostle of very great merit. That of St. Bartholomew's martyrdom is a masterpiece. The Stations of the Cross are small but very well executed oil paintings. The church is one hundred and thirty-six feet in length by eighty-four in breath. In the edifice are two rows of Doric columns, separating the nave from the aisles. There are five on each side, each four feet in diameter and twenty-six feet high, painted in imitation of rich marble. The organ, which cost over $5,000, is one of the most powerful in the country; but time has somewhat injured it. This church is free from those side galleries that injure the appearance of so many of our most expensive ecclesiastical edifices. As therapid growth of St. Louis leaves this edifice in the business portion of the city, it is said that a magnificent new Cathedral is in contemplation, which, from the number of wealthy Catholics in St. Louis, ought to, and doubtless will, surpass any such structure in the Union.
Built, owned and sustained by the city is emphatically a charity; it is in truth a home for all nations, and it is astonishing what a congregation of nationalities is there; It shows, however, what apoint of concentration St. Louis is. It is curious to observe in the returns from this establishment made to the city officer who has the charge of, and who regularly publishes those returns, the various countries from which the persons come who are admitted there. Not only is almost every State in the American Union, but almost every country in North and South America, the various countries of Europe,
and even parts of Asia are represented there. A short time ago, among the number, we noticed one from Syria. This establishment is indeed worthy to be spoken of, and is a noble charity to which the city may point with pride, as evidencing the philanthropy of the people. Few hospitals, public hospitals, in the United States can compare with this. It is admirably arranged, in a high, airy, eligible position, and withal, as clean and neat, and quiet as a private dwelling. No pains are spared to make it every way pleasant and agreeable, and doubtless much is due for its admirable management to the Steward and Matron, who sustain an exalted reputation for care and attention. It is not to Be forgotten, however, that the city, through its Mayor and Councils, takes great pride in this important and valuable establishment; and the "Board of Health," representing each ward, especially watch over its arrangements, while the regular physician and his assistants, paid by the city, endeavor to make it all that the city wants the very best of hospitals.
The city first built what we may call the old hospital some years ago, It was supposed to be amply sufficient; it was one hundred and seven feet long by fifty feet deep, and three stories high, divided into suitable wards and apartments for the various classes of invalids. But in the rapid increase of population, and the flood of immigration, it has been found inadequate. The original plan contemplated enlargement, without disturbing the existing arrangements, and the City Council having passed an ordinance therefor, part of the enlargement is now progressing. When the new part, now building, is finished, the front will be two hundred feet, the new one being ninety-three feet long, three stories high and fifty feet deep; and besides this, one of the wings is also constructing, with a depth of one hundred and seven feet by a width of fifty feet, also three stories high. This latter building fronts south, the
east, and it is contemplated to have, eventually, similar buildings both north and west. This entire structure, built of the best brick, is to be finished in the very best and most substantial manner, with ample supplies of water, bathing apparatus, and every convenience for the restoration of health and promotion of comfort that modern science and philanthropy has been enabled to devise, will be found there. Attached will be a drug store and other appurtenances, furnished by the city, the whole so arranged as to be capable of furnishing ample accommodations to some six hundred patients.
(Under the charge of the Sisters of Charity, from Emmelsburg, Md..)
Is on the corner of Fourth and Spruce streets. The buildings are ample, and possess every requisite necessary to alleviate the sufferings of the sick. The Sisters' Hospital has been many years in operation, and was the first establishment of the kind west of the Mississippi. It has been judiciously managed, and has acquired, as it doubtless richly deserves, the confidence of the community. It is not, however, a public charity in the general acceptation of that term; the public use it, but it is self-sustaining; very many go there and pay for attendance, preferring it either to a public or private hospital; and this is especially the case with strangers, and persons who have no homes of their own, and prefer good nursing and attention, and are able to pay for them. There, they can have their room, their attendant, their own physician, if they wish it, or, if they have no preference, the services of those (among the best) who are physicians to the Hospital.
Institutions of this kind are of a higher character than is generally conceded to them. The principal cities throughout Europe, and even in Constantinople, have one or more of them,
where they are held in high estimation for the manifest charities they are daily administering.
The present Hospital was established in this city in 1828, at which time there was no other institution of this class here. The ground on which this building stands was the gift of the late John Mullanphy, Esq. The family of the deceased holds the gift of four charity patients, which will continue through the life of the family of the donor.
Patients requiring private rooms are charged from five to seven dollars per week, exclusive of charge of their own physicians and medicines. A ward is also provided for the second class at three dollars per week, in which medical attendance and medicines are furnished gratuitously.
Separate apartments are appropriated for the blind, insane and cases of a chronic character. The number in this department varies from forty to sixty patients, most of whom are life patients, depending solely upon the benevolence of the Sisters.
At the request of the Most Rev. Archbishop Kenrick, other departments have been opened, to be devoted exclusively to the indigent sick. These will be considered the Thornton Ward.
The management is under the entire supervision of twenty-one Sisters, with one Superior, having also the assistance of male and female nurses, as may be deemed necessary for the separate wards.
The following are the names of gentlemen of eminence, and Professors of the St. Louis Medical College, who attend to the wards of the sick daily:
Physicians M. L. Linton, J. B. Johnson and T. Papin.
It should be here stated that the professional services of the above named gentlemen are administered to the poor of the Hospital gratuitously.
On January 1st, 1857, there were 210 cases remaining. From this date to Dec. 1857, were admitted 1979, during which time 1881 were discharged. No. of deaths 160. In Hospital to date, (Jan. 13th, 1858) 148.
This Hospital was erected at the expense of the United States; it is eligibly situated near the river, just south of the Arsenal; the buildings are stately, and present a beautiful appearance. Here are treated, at the expense of the United States, those sick and disabled boatmen who have no home here, only on their boat, who pay their regular fee, or "hospital money," to the Collector of the port, and have a certificate thereof. Our best physicians are engaged to attend to the unfortunate sick here, and devote much time to this hospital.
The building heretofore known as Wyman's Hall, but latterly the "Odeon," is now used for the purposes of this institution. It is situated on Market street, opposite the Court house, and was erected in 1848, at a cost of some $28,000, including furniture, &c. It is a substantial yet ornamental building, of about forty-four feet front by some one hundred feet deep. The first story is arranged for stores, and is about twelve feet high in the clear; the second story contains the concert hall, and is twenty-one feet high in the clear, is furnished with a small yet ornamental gallery all around, constructed of iron, and a neat stage furnished with splendid scenery. The whole room is tastefully fitted up, furnished with gas, &c., and capable of accommodating twelve or fifteen hundred people. It was in this room that Jenny Lind gave
her concerts while in St. Louis; and it has, from its central position, always been a favorite place for concerts, exhibitions, &c. The third story is fitted up as an exhibition room, and is finely adapted for the purpose; it is large, airy, well lighted, and well ventilated, and is seventeen feet high while the fourth story is divided into three rooms, and devoted to the splendid collections of oil paintings, dissolving views, dioramas, &c. From this story, which towers high above most of the surrounding buildings, a beautiful panoramic view of the city may be had, especially looking to the east, south, and south-west, extending below the Arsenal, and over the city common while a pure, healthy breeze constantly circulates through the upper portions of the buildings. We have never examined a building better adapted for the purposes to which it is devoted than this one; and it will, we doubt not, repay the liberal outlay which has been made for its erection. There are specimens from almost all lands while rivers, lakes and ocean furnish their portion. Mr. Bates, the curator, works steadily, quietly, yet with all the enthusiasm of a true devotee to the science of his choice in the tasteful preparation and arrangement of this beautiful cabinet. The collections, especially in the department of Ornithology, are as fine as we have ever seen anywhere; probably finer than can be found in this country, both for the great number of specimens and for their beauty, their rarity, and the tasteful manner of their preparation and display. The animals and birds appear as bright, and almost as lifelike, as if sporting in their native wilds. We almost expect to hear warblers sing in the cases. Colors more fresh, pure, natural and gorgeous can scarcely be found in the living denizens of the land or the sea. The artless attitudes, and the charming arrangement of the creatures, with the effect of the whole, fill the careful observer with delighted wonder. We
confess that, personally, we feel deeply indebted to the shrewd head and hand which have reproduced so beautifully, and disposed within so small a compass, such a world of natural loveliness. Again and again may the observer revisit these attractions, and the more attentively and often he observes, the more warmly will he admire them.
We will mention a few prominent features of this beautiful resort, each of which is well worth the price of admission, viz: The great Zeuglodon, Gallery of Oil Paintings, superb Statues of Venus and Mercury, Egyptian mummies, Indian curiosities, &c., &c.
GEN. GREEN, the smallest dwarf in the world, is permanently engaged and holds daily levees while the THAYER FAMILY, the only Female Sax Horn Band in the world, are also permanently engaged. These ladies are beautiful, accomplished, and splendid musicians.
In the concert room each evening a splendid band of Minstrels hold their "Soirees d'Afrique," and convulse the audience by their side-splitting jokes, witticisms, &c. A performance is given every Saturday afternoon for the accommodation of family parties and children. The admission to the entire building is only fifty cents. Children and servants, twenty-five cents.
True delights are cheap, exhauatless, and ever at interest. False ones are costly and self-destructive. At few places may higher enjoyment be purchased than at the Museum. And yet, till the grave the sooner receive them, multitudes must spend hundreds to satiety and weariness, rather than dimes for purifying, revivifying and ennobling bliss. True pleasures alone increase by repetition. To children and youth and to those who still retain the priceless inheritance of unvitiated tastes, we say, visit the Museum. Visit it often, and there
and elsewhere humbly peruse rather the significant volume of nature her original volume than those second-hand interpretations of the Divine will which are made by dogma-blinded men.
This Institution was founded in 1840 by Professors Joseph N. McDowell, John S. Moore, and others not now identified with it, for the purpose of affording the medical student who designed practicing his profession in the West a practical knowledge of the diseases incident to the climate, as well as a thorough knowledge of medical science generally. From the time of its establishment until 1846 it was recognized as the medical department of Kemper College. This connection continued until it was deemed prudent to form a connection with the University of the State of Missouri. This step was taken at the earnest solicitation of the latter institution, and continued till 1856, when, by an act of the Legislature of Missouri, persons practicing any of the learned professions were prohibited from holding a position as professor in this State University! As all of the professors of the Medical Department were engaged in the practice of Medicine or Surgery, the continuation of; the Medical Department of the State University became impossible.
It was this event which caused the institution to assume its present name. A charter was granted to Dr. Jos. N. McDowell, Thomas Watson, Wm. Milburn, Archibald Gamble and John S. Moore, and their successors, as Trustees of the Missouri Medical College, in 1846, conferring upon them the privileges granted to all similar institutions, and under which they now confer degrees.
This institution is now one of the most flourishing in the country, and we are certain the Faculty have not their superiors in
0the United States, embracing many of the most eminent men of the country. We are induced to insert their names for the benefit of those interested in such matters.
Jno. S. Moore, M. D., Prof. Theory and Practice of Medicine; Jos. N. McDowell, M. D., Prof, of Theory and Practice of Surgery; Abner Hopton, M. D., Prof, of Chemistry and Pharmacy; Jno. Barnes, M. D., Prof. Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Medical Botany; Jno. T. Hodgen, M. D., Prof, of Anatomy and Physiology; E. S. Frazer, M. D., Prof, of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children; S. G. Armor, M. D., Prof, of Pathology and Clinical Medicine; J. Drake McDowell, M. D., Adjunct Prof, of Surgery; Jno. J. McDowell, M. D., Demonstrator of Anatomy.
The College building is large and commodious, situated in on of the most delightful portions of the city, at the corner of Eighth and Gratiot streets, and from the dome commands a beautiful view of the surrounding country.
The Laboratory Room is 45 by 70 feet, with elevated seats, in order that the audience may be able to witness every experiment of the lecturer. The Chemical and Philosophical Apparatus is one of the most complete in the country. The common lecture room is 45 by 70 feet and 15 feet high, and is neatly furnished, the walls being covered with splendid oil paintings appropriate for the place.
The Anatomical Amphitheatre is seventy-one feet in diameter, octagonal, with a ceiling fifty-two feet high; light, airy, and has ample accommodations for one thousand persons. A large Dissecting Room, 45 by 85 feet, well ventilated, warmed and provided with tables, gas light, &c., is attached to this apartment. The Library Room is of the same size and shape as the Amphitheatre. It is elegantly furnished, and contains a superior collection of books, paintings, engravings, specimens, statuary, &c.
The Anatomical Museum is provided with a large number of dried and cut preparations of various parts of the human body, elegantly prepared showing the osseous, ligamentous, muscular, vascular and nervous systems; also a fine collection of pathological and embryological specimens the latter showing the various stages of development almost from impregnation to birth. Also a sufficient number of monstrosities to give variety to the collection.
The general Museum contains an immense collection of fossils, illustrating the Geology of the Mississippi Valley in its various parts, admirably arranged by one of the best Geologists in the country; a vast collection of minerals; a magnificent collection of ornithological specimens, embracing all the birds of North America, with a considerable number from the Southern half of the Western Hemisphere, and many of the gay feathered representatives of Africa; a good collection of fishes, reptiles and mammals; many curious and interesting things as specimens of art and manufacture, with a larger number of Indian curiosities than can be found elsewhere in the Valley.
Visitors in the city can not spend a few days more pleasantly or profitably than in visiting this collection. The doors are always open, and visitors admitted free of charge, and afforded every facility for gratifying a worthy curiosity.
The medical lectures in this institution begin on the first of November of each year, and continue four months. Fees, as usual in other respectable institutions of a similar kind.
This College was gotten up mainly through the instrumentality of Dr. G. A. Pope. It is a handsome brick building, with a front of some one hundred and thirty feet by a depth of one hundred feet, and is at least seventy-five feet high.
This beautiful structure was built entirely by the munificence of Col. John O'Fallon, at an expense of about $80,000, and is settled, or to be settled, on the Faculty or Trustees, as we learn, for the purposes for which it was erected, forever. The fitting up museum arrangements and instruments cost Dr. Pope at least $30,000 besides. This establishment is as perfect in its adaptation to the purposes for which it was erected, as enlarged scientific attainments, great energy and perseverance, and ample means, can make it. The museum, especially to the medical students, or even to the lover of art and nature, is almost invaluable. There are a vast number of illustrations of disease in all its various phases, both in wax and painting numerous beautiful plates and representations, which make matters palpable to the eye, and impress the intellect. These are all, we are told, from the most celebrated establishments in Paris, and the collection is still being augmented. Besides these, another large and elegant room is devoted to the numerous collections of natural history, geology, mineralogy, botany, &c., &c. Many of these specimens are not only rare but beautiful, procured at great cost, and necessarily very attractive and useful. We apprehend this collection although the college itself is of very recent origin will favorably compare with the museums and collections for similar purposes in any of the older institutions in the country. These institutions, in so comparatively new a country as is this distant part of the great west, in a city so young as is St. Louis, with so many older, thoroughly established institutions to come in competition with, argue strongly, in their success, in favor of the advantages of our position, as well as the thorough scientific attainments and the persevering energy of their professors. No longer need the people of this valley look eastward for know ledge no longer need their sons be taught in schools away
from the seat of the diseases they have to combat in the west beyond the Mississippi; they may be instructed with a skill equal to that existing anywhere, and with practical knowledge of the peculiar diseases of the country.
We have long thought St. Louis, as a point for prosecuting medical studies, was perhaps unrivalled, standing as it does in the centre of the great valley of the Mississippi, its entrepot, the place of concentration of the vast multitudes of immigrants which pour in here from all lands, and from hence radiate in every direction, to occupy these great western regions. Containing, as the city does, a great population from all climes, a heterogeneous multitude, afflicted with all kinds of diseases, what favorable opportunities must present themselves for the thorough analysis both of malady and remedy! If to these we add the casualties incident to rapid growth, and vast steamboat operations, with the great and very valuable hospital facilities, it must readily be perceived how great the facilities are here for thorough medical studies as well aa practice. To these causes, we presume, is attributable the fact, that these two institutions have grown up here in so short a period, and so early in our history, while their greatly increasing classes, show not only a proper appreciation of the skill employed in teaching, but is a sure index of the success of the enterprise, and the prosperity and greatness of its future.
Is connected with the Medical Department of the St. Louis University. The dispensary is called after one of our most wealthy and at the same time most benevolent and public spirited citizens; for he not only originated the idea, but procured the ground and built the house a very beautiful and substantial one with his own means solely; but besides, he has
endowed it for all time as a place for the gratuitous relief of the sick poor, with property worth now some fifty thousand dollars, and constantly increasing in value. This indeed is a noble charity! here, the halt, the maimed, the sick, the poor, will forever be able to obtain medicines and attendance, "without money or price," "fee or reward;" the property being settled on trustees for this purpose, and the endowment went into effect in 1856. This establishment has now been in operation nearly five years, during which time over twenty thousand persons have been treated for various diseases.
Taylor, Jacob N; Crooks, M. O. Sketch Book of St. Louis: Containing a Series of Sketches of the Early Settlement, Public Buildings, Hotels, Railroads, Steamboats, Foundry and Machine Shops, Mercantile Houses, Grocers, Manufacturing Houses, Etc . St. Louis: George Knapp and Co, 1858. [format: book], [genre: guidebook; narrative]. Permission: Tulane University
Persistent link to this document: http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/file.php?file=taylorcrooks.html