Chicago Tribune July 3, 1881 Page 3

Page 2   Page 5   Page 6   Page 7   Page 8

the bladder shows that that organ is not injured as had been feared.

11 P. M.

WASHINGTON D.C., July 2-11p.m.-The following official bulletin has just be been issued: The President is resting quietly and is cheerful. Pulse 121; temperature 99; respiration 21. All symptoms are favorable.


WASHINGTON DC July -2-12 o'clock.-The improvement in the President's condition is still maintained. He is resting quietly. All the attending physicians argue that the last two hours have produced a marked favorable change in the President's condition. Respiration, 20; temperature, 98; pulse, 124. He is now sleeping.

1 A. M.

EXECUTIVE MANSION, 1:15 a.m.-The following bulletin has just been issued: "1 a.m. The improvement in the President's condition, which began early in the evening, has steadily continued up to this hour. His temperature and respiration are now normal, and his pulse has fallen to 120. The attending physicians regard all his symptoms as favorable, and a more hopeful feeling prevails. D.W. Bliss, M.D. All the members of the Cabinet remain at the Executive Mansion throughout the night the White House.


WASHINGTON, DC, July 2.—Before the President was removed from the depot this morning no one was permitted to enter the building except those whose presence was absolutely required. By some unaccountable means news was conveyed to the multitude in the streets to the effect that, although the President was not dead, he was mortally wounded. Then a gloom seemed to settle down upon the city like a great veil and the vast concourse of people waited patiently outside the depot for news from within. They reminded one strongly of friends and relatives of the dying man waiting in an anteroom to the chamber of death.


Businessmen and ladies, with faces pale with excitement and eyes bloodshot with straining, stared fixedly at the door of the depot, and strove painfully to learn or divine something about the wounded man within. At last the door opened and some of the doctors came out. The throng pressed closely around them, and begged for information. The medical men said: "he is not dead. He is not in any immediate danger, and, in fact, there are hopes of his recovery." The purpose of these words was conveyed to all the people present, and was transmitted from lip to lip, and from lip to wire all over the country. The city drew a long breath, and the excitement, which had been at white heat thus far, cooled off. Then there was


and people were moved off right and left and every way. It was to make room for an ambulance which had been summoned to transport the suffering President to the White House. Tenderly was he borne from the building to the vehicle, and quietly and gently was he laid on a mattress therein. Then the vehicle drove off slowly to the White House, followed at a respectful distance by the crowd. When he reached it he was borne inside, and followed by the Surgeon-General, Dr. Bliss, who had attended him from the first, and other physicians. The friends of the wounded chief stood sorrowfully about him, and the doors closed between him and his future and the thousands who stood in the highways and byways of this city awaiting the end.


WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2-The following has been forwarded by cable: DEPARTMENT OF STATE, WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2-To James Rusell Lowell, Minister, etc., London: The President of the United States was shot this morning by an assassin named Charles Guiteau. The weapon was a large-sized revolver. The President has just reached the Baltimore & Potomac station, at about 9:20, intending, with a portion of his Cabinet, to leave on the limited express for New York. I rode in a carriage with him from the Executive Mansion and was walking by his side when he was shot. The assassin was immediately arrested, and the President was convened to a private room in the station building, and surgical aid was at once summoned. He has how, at 10:20 o'clock, been removed to the Executive Mansion. The surgeons in consultation regard his wounds as very serious, though not necessarily fatal. His vigorous health gives strong hopes of his recovery. He has not lost consciousness for a moment. Inform out Ministers in Europe. JAMES G. .BLAINE., Secretary of State. New York, July 2.-J. G. Blaine, Secretary of State, Washington: Your 6:45 telegram is very distressing. I still hope for more favorable tidings, and ask you to keep me advised. Please do not fail to express to Mrs. Garfield my deepest sympathy. C. A. Arthur.


July 2.- To Gen. W. T. Sherman, Washington: I trust that the result of the assault upon the life of the President today may not have fatal consequences, and that, in the interest of our country, the act may be shown to have been that of a mad man. Thanks for your dispatch and for your promise of further information. W. S. hancock.


WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2—6:45 p. m.—Mrs. Garfield has just arrived. She was conducted at once to her husband.


Washington, D. C., July 2.-Mrs. Garfield, although still weak from recent illness and shocked by the suddenness of the grief which has come to her, has behaved since her arrival with courage and self-control equal to her husband. Not only has she not, given way to terror and grief, which she necessarily feels, but she has been consistently by the President's side, encouraging him with her presence and sympathy, and given efficient aid, so far as it has been in her power, to the attending physicians.


President Garfield's life was insured in the Equitable Life Assurance Society for $25,000. He took the policy last October.



Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, DC,July 2.-Robert Lincoln,. Secretary of War, who has just left the White House, says; "The President is lying very quietly in his own bedchamber, perfectly conscious and clear in his mind, although suffering a great deal of pain. When I first entered the room he was seized with an attack of vomiting and I was alarmed, but the President, turning to the physician in attendance, said, 'That is the result of the hypodermic injected you gave me awhile ago wasn't it, Doctor?' and the the Doctor replied that it was. He has not slept and yet. Contrary to the reports, he is cheerful, brave, and converses in his usual tone to the few who were admitted to his chamber. The physicians will make no further examination until 3 o'clock. The wound is a very serious one, although not necessarily fatal." Mr. Lincoln turned away very much affected, as the scene was undoubtedly called to his mind a similar tragic event in his own family history.


The following dispatches were received in Chicago last evening from Secetary-of-War Lincoln, by Mr. Isham, his former law partner: WASHINGTON, July 2, 9:20 p.m.-The Hon. Edward Isham: At 8:30 the President's condition is very precarious, but the surgeons note a slight improvement. He is now sleeping quietly. ROBERT T. LINCOLN, Secretary of War.

WASHINGTON July2- 6:40 p.m.-The Hon. Edward Isham: At 4pm the President's condition was some-what less favorable. The evidences of internal hemorrhage were distinctively recognized. He suffers rather more pain, but his mind is perfectly clear. Surgeons' report. R. T. LINCOLN Secretary of War.


Special Dispatch to the Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, DC, July-It has been said that "The best death is that which is least expected." Certainly the death of no man in this country was less expected than that of out noble Chief Magistrate, who, a few minutes after 9 o'clock this morning, arrived at the Pennsylvania Depot in robust health and buoyant spirits, and who now lies writhing on a bed of pain from an assassin's bullet, and who, the doctors say cannot live but a few hours. The bulletins of the day have told in a fragmentary way the story of the sad day's business until nightfall. It s possible now to put together, in a more connected way, this painful history, and, before these dispatches can reach the public, James A. Garfield, unless some Providence shall intervene, will have gone to the other world.


said the President to a near friend this morning, soon after he was shot, and to another friend and the good women have been watching so tenderly by his beside these painful, agitated hours, he said: "God's will be done. I am content, either way." The intercourse of the President with his Cabinet, always very cordial, is said, by every member of that Council, to have been yesterday of an especially considerate character. Mr. Blaine spent the greater part of last evening with him, as it had been arranged that the Secretary of State should remain in the city and finish some details of business which the President had not been able to do. As the Secretary was about to leave, the President said: "I will say good-by, as I know that you are not an early riser." Mr. Blaine answered: "I will show you that I can rise early, for I will call for you with my carriage, and take you to the train at 9 o'clock tomorrow."


Secretary Blaine arrived at the White House with his carriage, and President Garfield entered it, and the two rode to the depot alone. Secretary Blaine's account of what probably was his last extended conversation with the President is a very touching one. It is substantially this: "I have," said the President, "now completed four months of the Administration, and everything is going well. The Cabinet is each day becoming more welded together. There never, to this day, has been an unkind word said across that Cabinet table." The members are all working together in complete harmony, and plans are forming which will make the Administration a wise and good one." And,said Secretary Blaine, "the President's plans were broad, comprehensive, and just. He had commenced what would have been a brilliant Administration. He proposed to do equal justice to every man, and I know that he had not an unkind thought in his life against any woman, man, or child.


said Secretary Blaine, "until we arrived at the station. We both got out, together and entered at the ladies' entrance. We had not long been there when I heard a pistol fired. I did not dream that any one bad fired at the President, or any of us. I knew, however, that it must be near, as the noise was deafening in my ears, like the reverberation from a cannon shot when one stands near it. I thought; this is a town where pistols are freely used. Some row is going on in the depot building, and a stray shot might hit the President.


turning from the President to see where it was. I did not even then comprehend that the shot could have been aimed at him. As I did so, I heard the President say; "My God" and turning quickly saw him falling by my side, and heard another shot, when I instinctively rushed towards the assassin. It was too late and needless. Strong arms had already pinioned him, and I turned to lift the poor, bleeding President beside me. We placed him on a mattress and carried him to the Superintendent's room in the second story. You know the rest. It was all over in two minutes, but the villain understood his work. The heavy bullet did not maim a limb or miss its mark. It had lodged in the vitals.


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2.—Attorney-General MacVeagh has just come down from the room in which President Garfield has been placed, and says it will not be known until 3 o'clock, when the physicians will make an examination, what the result of the shooting will be. The President has been placed in the northwest corner room. One physician and Col. Rockwell are the only persons allowed in the room. The latest report of the physician is that he is sleeping quietly, and thinks the reaction shows an improvement, and the members of the Cabinet are in the mansion anxiously waiting the result.


The following reminiscence of Gen. Garfield's power during the greatest crisis the country ever passed through has been furnished by distinguished gentleman who was present, and shows the intellectual and moral power of Gen. Garfield over a surging and maddened crowd: "I shall never forget the first time I saw Gen. Garfield. It was the morning after President Lincoln's assassination. The country was excited to its utmost tension, and New York City seemed ready for the scenes of the French Revolution. The intelligence of Lincoln's murder had been flashed by the wires over the whole land. The newspaper headlines of the transaction were set up in the largest type and the high crime was on every one's tongue. Fear took possession or men's minds as to the fate of the Government, for in a few hours the news came on that Seward's throat was cut, and that attempts had been made upon the lives of others of the Government officers. Posters were stuck up everywhere, in great black letters, calling upon the loyal citizens of New York, Brooklyn, Jersey City, and neighboring places to meet around the Wall Street Exchange and give expression to their sentiments. It was a dark and terrible hour. What might come next no one could tell, and men spoke with bated breath.


was simply uncontrollable, and revolvers and knives were in the hands of thousands of Lincoln's friends, ready, at the first opportunity, to take the law into their own hands and avenge the death of the martyred President upon any or all who dared to utter a word against him. Eleven o'clock a. m. was the hour set for the rendezvous. Fifty thousand people crowded around the Exchange Building, cramming and jamming the streets, and wedged in tight as men could stand together. With a few to whom a special favor was extended, I went over from Brooklyn at 9 a. m., and, even then, with the utmost difficulty, found way to the reception-room for the speakers in front of the Exchange Building, and looking out on to the high and massive balcony, whose front was protected by a heavy iron railing. We sat in solemnity and silence, waiting for Gen. Butler who, it was announced, had started from Washington, and was either already in the city or expected every moment. Nearly a hundred Generals, Judges, statesmen, lawyers, editors, clergymen, and others were in that room waiting. Butler's arrival. We stepped out to the balcony to watch


Not a hurrah was heard, but for the most part dead silence, or a deep ominous muttering ran like a rising wave up the street toward Broadway, and again down toward the river on the right. At length the batons of the police were seen swinging in the air, far up on the left, parting the crowd and pressing it back to make way for a carriage that moved slowly and with difficult jogs through the compact multitude. Suddenly the silence was broken, and the cry of "Butler!" "Butler" "Butler!" rang out with tremendous and thrilling effect, and was taken up by the people. But not a hurrah! Not one ! It was the cry of a great people, asking to know how their President died. The blood bounced in our veins, and the tears ran like streams down our faces, How it was done T forget, but Butler was pulled through, and pulled up, and entered the room where, we had just walked back to meet him. A broad crape, a yard long hung from his left arm, terrible contrast with the countless flags that were waving the Nation's victory in the breeze. We first realized then the truth of the sad news that Lincoln was dead. When Butler entered the room we shook hands. Some spoke, some couldn't.


The only word Butler had for us all, at the first break of of silence, was "Gentleman he died in the fullness of his fame!" and as he spoke it his lips quivered and the tears ran fast down his cheeks. Then, after a few moments, came the speaking. And you can imagine this effect, as the crape fluttered in the wind, while his arm was uplifted. Dickinson, of New York State, was fairly wild. The old man leaped over the iron railing of the balcony and stood on the very edge, overhanging the crowd, gesticulating in the most vebement manner, and next thing to bidding the crowd to 'burn up the Rebel seed, root and branch,' while a bystander held on to his coattails to keep him from falling over. By this time the wave of popular indignation had swelled to its crest. Two men lay bleeding on one of the side streets, the one dead, the other dying; one on the pavement, the other in the gutter. They had said a moment before that 'Lincoln ought to have been shot long ago !' They were not allowed to say it again! Soon two long pieces of scantling stood out above the heads of the crowd, crossed at the top like the letter X, and a looped halter pendant from the junction, a dozen men following its slow motion, through the masses, while


was the cry. On the right, suddenly, the shout rose, 'The World!' 'The World' 'The office of the World!! 'World!' 'World’! and a movement of perhaps 8,000 or 10,000 turning their faces in the direction of that building began to be executed. It was a critical moment. What might come no one could tell, did that crowd get in front of that office. Police and military would have availed little or been too late. A telegram had just been read from Washington, 'Seward is dying.' Just then at, that juncture a man stepped forward with a small flag in his hand, and beckoned to too crowd. 'Another telegram from Washington! ' And then, in the awful stillness of the crisis, taking advantage of the hesitation of the crowd, whose steps had been arrested a moment, a right arm was lifted skyward, and a voice, clear and steady, loud and distinct, spoke out: 'Fellow citizens! Clouds and darkness are round about him! His pavilion is dark waters and thick clouds of the skies! Justice and judgment are the establishment of His throne! Mercy and truth shall go before His face! Fellow citizens!' God reigns, and the Government at Washington still lives." The effect was tremendous The crowd stood riveted to the spot in awe, gazing the motionless orator, and thinking of God and the security of the Government in that hour. As the boiling wave subsides and settles to the sea when some strong wind beats it down, so the tumult of the people sank and became still. All took it as a divine omen. It was triumph of eloquence, inspired by the moment, such as falls to but one man's lot, and that but once in a century. The genius of Webster, Choate. Everett, Seward, never reached it. De-mosthenes never equaled it. What might have happened had the surging and maddened mob been let loose, none can tell. The man for the crisis was on the spot, more potent than Napoleon's guns at Paris. I inquired what was his name. The answer came in a low whisper 'It is Gen. Garfield, of Ohio!'"


Many Recitals of the Way He Did His Bloody Work.

Proclamation of His Admiration of Stalwartism and Its Methods.

Conversations with Him in Jail After the Deed Was Done.

Copious Extracts from the Records Made by Him in Many Cities of the Union.

What Is Known Concerning the Wretched Man in Chicago.

His Career as Deadbeat, Shyster, and Religious Lecturer.

What His Brother-in-Law and Niece Know of His Peculiarities.

A Long Record of Swindles, Frauds, and Gross Misdeeds -A Persecuted Lady.

His Experiences in Jail Here and at the East-Tales of His Creditors.

His Views on the Second Coming of Christ—Cheating His Publishers,

Appearance of Guiteau at Washington as an Important Candidate for Office.



Special Dispatch to the Chicago Tribune

WASHINGTON DC,J uly2—3 p. m—The authorities found two letters upon the person of Guiteau, besides the letter addressed to Gen. Sherman. One was a letter addressed to Byron Andrews, correspondent here of the Chicago Inter-Ocean. The letter stated that the writer (Guiteau) did not know Andrews, but he knew him as connected with a Stalwart journal, and confided to him a statement which accompanied the letter in a sealed package. That statement guiteau wished Andrews to communicate to the world. Mr. Andrews first heard that there was a letter addressed to him or that there was such a person as Guiteau when at the City-Hall in search of some details about the prisoner. He was then brought before the District-Attorney and the Commissioners and sworn. He was shown the letter addressed to him, but was not permitted to retain it, and was not allowed to see the sealed statement from Guiteau addressed to himself. That statement is to, be withheld by the authorities, and is not to be made public at present.


after leaving the president's room a few moments ago, said; "My God, it is terrible." Mr. Blaine in reply to inquiries whether it was thought Guiteau was a tool of any conspirators, said that he had no such thought.


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2.-An effort was made to secure an, Interview with the prisoner at the District Jail, but, as was to be expected, without success. From the Chief of Police it was learned that Col. Corkhill, the United States District-Attorney, had issued an order which was sent to the jail to allow no one to interview or have any communication whatever with the prisoner. Detective Voss, who was in charge of the prisoner, stated that on the way down to the jail they met an attaché of the White House who had


The carriage was stopped and Detective Voss asked Smith if he had heard that the President had been shot. He treated the matter as a joke, and was informed that it was unfortunately too true, and that the man with the officers was the assassin. Mr. Smith at once replied: "This is Guiteau. Why he has been here every day since the 4th of March when the President was here. He was there all day yesterday, and, was as mad as hell because the President could not see him." On the arrival of Guiteau at the jail the party was met by Gen. John S. Crocker, the Warden, to whom


with the commitment, and this was accompanied by a letter from Col. George B. Corkhill, United States District Attorney, to the Warden directing that he should allow no person whatever to to see or hold communication with the prisoner, and to forbid even the guards and deputies from talking to him. On entering Gen. Crocker's office Guiteau rather flippantly remarked to me Warden that he (the prisoner) had been at the jail last Saturday, but the people would not let him in. "I wanted to look over the place and see where I would have my quarters." '"All present were dumbfounded at the apparent insanity, or at least foolhardiness, but a few moments later, when he was taken inside, one of the keepers on seeing him at once exclaimed: "l know that man. He was here a few days ago." "Yes," replied Guiteau, "and you wouldn't let me in." The report that Guiteau was once Consul is untrue. Assistant-Sectetary-of-State Hill says Guiteau never had a foreign appointment, but he has been persistent, almost daily, applicant under this Administration. He either applied in person or wrote letters to the president or Mr. Blaine every day. His family is respectable in Freeport, Ill. Charles Guiteau is a Canadian Frenchman by birth, and he is from Chicago. He came here in the month of February with recommendations from various parties in Illinois to secure the United States Consulship to Marseilles, France. He went in March to the well known boardinghouse of Mrs. Rines, now Mrs. Lockwood, No. 810 Twelfth street, and tried to secure board. Mrs. Lockwood


and gave him an out-of-the-way room In the house in the hope of getting rid of him. He gave as a recommendation a copy of his printed speech, and, as he pretended to know Gen. Logan, and others then boarding there, he appeared to get along very well with himself, but not with the boarders, who avoided him as much as possible. Detective McElfresh, who took Guiteau to jail, says he asked him, " Where are you from?" "I am," he replied, "a native-born American, born in Chicago."' Guiteau said he was a lawyer and theologian. McElfresh asked, "Why did you do this?" and he replied, "I did it to save the Republican party." "What is your politics?" said McElfresh, He answered "I am a Stalwart among the Stalwarts. With Garfield out of the way, we can, carry all the Northern States and with him in the way, we can't carry a single one." He then said to McElfresh, "You stick to me, and have me put in the third-story front of the jail and Gen. Sherman is coming down to take charge. Arthur and all those men are my friends, and I'll have you made Chief of Police when you go back to the depot you will find that I left bundles of papers at the newsstand, which


Mc Elfresh asked him: "Is there anybody else with you in this matter?" and he answered: "Not a living soul. I contemplated this thing for the last six weeks, and would have shot him when he went away with Mrs. Garfield, but I looked at her, and she looked so bad that I changed my mind." On reaching the jail Mr. Russ, the Deputy Warden, said: "This man has been here before." He said:: "Yes, I was down last Saturday morning, and wanted them to let me look through, and they told me that I couldn't, but to come Monday." He asked: "What was your object in looking?" He said: "I wanted to see what sort of quarters I would have to occupy."


Charles Jules Guiteau who shot the President is a native of Illinois, and about 40 years of a age. He is the son of L. W. Guiteau, who for many years to the time of his death, which occurred about two years ago, resided at Freeport, Ill. About twenty-five years ago the father, accompanied by his son Charles Jules, then about 16 years old, left Freeport and joined the Oneida Community in New York State. The father remained with the Community but a short time, and then returned to Freeport. The son remained several years, and next turned up Chicago as a lawyer. When a boy and up to the time of his arrival in Chicago he was known as Charles Jules Guiteau, but changed his name, dropping the "Jules" soon after reaching that city. He visited Washington about two years ago, and lectured in Lincoln Hall on Second Adventism, in which, at that time, he professed to be, a firm believer. Gentlemen in the city who met him then pronounced him a lunatic on the subject of religion.


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2-The following letter was taken from the prisoner's pocket at police headquarters, showing conclusively the intention to kill the President: "JULY 2, 1881.- To the White House: The President's tragic death was a sad necessity, but it will unite the Republican party and save the Republican Life is a flimsy dream, and it matters little when one goes. A human life is of small value. During the War thousands of brave boys went down without a tear. I presume the President was a Christian, and that he will be happier in Paradise than here. It will be no worse for Mrs. Garfield, dear soul, to part with her husband this way than by natural death. He is liable to go at anytime anyway. I had no ill-will toward the President. His death was a political necessity. I am a lawyer, a theologian, and a politician. I am a Stalwart of the Stalwarts. I was with Gen. Grant and the rest of our men in New York during the canvass. I have some papers for the press, which I shall leave with Byron Andrews and his cojournalists at 1420 at New York avenue, where all the reporters can see them. I am going to the jail.



WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2.-The District Jail, in the eastern extremity of the city, was visited by an Associated Press reporter after 11 o'clock for the purpose of obtaining an interview with Guiteau, the would-be assassin of President Gar-field. The officers refused admittance to the building, stating as a reason therefor that they were acting under instructions received from the Attorney-General,-the purpose of which were that one should be allowed to see the prisoner. At first, indeed, the officers emphatically denied that the man had been conveyed to jail, fearing, it appears, that, should the fact be made known that he was there, the building would be attacked by a mob. Information had reached them that such a movement was contemplated.


composed of regulars from the barracks and the Metropolitan Police Force, are momentarily expected to arrive at the jail, to be in readiness to repel any attack. The statement that the assassin is Guiteau was verified by the office in charge of the jail. The prisoner arrived and was placed in a cell about 10 o'clock,-just one hour after the shooting occurred. He gave his name as Charles Guiteau, of Chicago, III. ln appearance he is a man about 30 years of age, and is supposed to be of French descent. His height is about 6 feet 5 inches.



Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2.—The National Republican issues an extra in which it says: "The attempted assassination of the President of the Nation fills every mind with horror, and arouses the most intense feeling of wrath. Men wonder if Nihilism is to become an element here as in Russia. There is no difference in the degree of feeling entertained among people of all shades of political opinion as to this fearful atrocity. Time and evidence will determine whether the assassin is a cunning actor or a lunatic. We give below an accurate report of his conversation while en route to the jail, a letter written by him, and also portions of a somewhat incoherent speech delivered by him during the campaign. But no defense of insanity that is not complete and irresistible will produce any impression on the public mind. Whether the murder was impelled by malice or insanity, no sane man will attach to it any


The anti-Administration Republicans love their country and its institutions, all of which the President represents. In his person the awful majesty of the whole people has been outraged, and every American citizen feels the blow. Those Republicans who have not been able to give the President their support will watch as eagerly for the physicians' bulletins from the White House, and hope and pray earnestly for his recovery, as will his most intimate personal friends. God save the President of the United States. When the assassin was seized by Officer Kearney and Mr. Parks, the depot policeman, the pistol, an iron-handled, large calibre, known as a Californian, was taken from him. He said when arrested: 'I did it, and want to be arrested.



and Arthur is President now. I have a letter here that I want you to give to Gen. Sherman. It will explain everything. Take me to the police station. Of course this was simply the bravado of an insane man, and the most natural explanation of the motive of his act is that he has been so long out of employment, and had persistently tried to secure appointment without success, that he had become so bankrupt both in pocket, in influence, and in character, that he fancied the President to be his especial enemy and the cause of all his sorrows and trouble. He has for months been a persistent applicant at the State Department for an appointment as Consul, and has recently


bitterly complaining of the Administration's neglect in not favorably recognizing his application. A gentleman who conversed with the President's oldest son as he sat in the carriage of the depot states that he said: 'Father is not badly hurt as supposed. I left him conversing with his attendants. Sir Edward Thornton was one of the first to call at the White House after the President had been removed there to express his sympathy and proffer any assistance in his power. As he came out he said that there was a strong hope that the natural vigorous constitution of the President would bring him through


was removed as quickly as possible to jail in a close carriage in which were seated Lieuts. Austin and Eckloff, Detective McElfres, and Officer Lewis. Guiteau talked freely and said what he had done was for the good of the Republican party and the country. He had nothing against President Garfield, but wanted Arthur to be President. Just before the carriage reached the jail it was stopped by Mr. Bud Smith, a watchman at the White House, who identified the prisoner as a man who had been lurking around the building for several days past. Upon being asked about this, Guiteau said: 'I went in to se Garfield Friday, and he told me he could not attend to my business then as he was going away the next day. Yesterday I said to him, "Maybe


as soon as you think." ' While being stripped in the rotunda of the jail one of the guards said: 'I have seen this man over here before.' Guiteau quickly replied, 'I was not under arrest, though. I'll make your mind clear on that. Last Saturday I came over here and asked permission to go through the jail, but was refused. I only wanted to see where I would be put.' The assassin was taken to the jail by Lieuts. Austin and Eckloff and Detective McElfresh. Mr. McEl-fresh said: ' I asked him, " Where are you from?" ' I am a native born American, born in Chicago" He said he was a lawyer and a theologian. l asked, " Why did you do this?" He answered: "I am


With Garfield out of the way we can carry all the Northern States, and with him in the way we can't carry a single one." He then said to me: "Who are you?" and I replied, "A detective officer of this Department." He said: "You stick by me, and have me put in the third story front at the jail. Gen. Sherman is coming down to take charge. Arthur and all those men are my friends, and I'll have you made Chief of Police. When you go back to the depot you will find that I left two bundles of papers at the newsstand which


I asked him, " ls there anybody else with you in this matter?" and he answered "not a living soul. I contemplated this thing for the last six weeks, and would have shot him when he went away with Mrs. Garfield, but I looked at her, and she looked so bad that I changed my mind." On reaching the jail the people there did not seem to know anything about the assassination, and when we took him inside the door Mr. Russ the Deputy-Warden, said: "This man has been here before." I then asked him, "Have you ever been here before?" He replied: "No sir." I said: "Well the Deputy Warden


He said: "Yes, I was here last Saturday morning and wanted then to let me look through, and they told me that I couldn'. But to come Monday." I asked: "What was your object in looking through?" He said: "I wanted to see what sort of quarters I would have to occupy." I then searched him and when I pulled off his shoes he said: "Give me my shoes. I will catch cold on this stone pavement." I told him he couldn't have them, and he said: "Give me a pair of pumps then."


Guiteau came here in the month of Februrary with recommendations from various parties in Illinois to secure the United States Consulship to Marseilles, France. He went in March to the well-known boarding house of Mrs. Rines, now Mrs. Lockwood, No. 810 Twelfth street, and tried to secure board. Mrs. Lockwood did not like his appearance and gave him an out of the way room in the house in the hope of getting rid of him. He gave as a recommendation a copy of his printed speech, published elsewhere, and he pretended to knows Gen. Logan and others, then boarding there. He appeared to get along very well with himself, but not with the boarders, who avoided him as much as possible. He appeared to have


said one of the boarders, and walked so easily that he was always up alongside of persons before they knew it. He was said to be rude at the table, too,-so much so that a gentleman and his wife stopping there would not sit alongside of him at the table. Mrs. Lockwood states that he acted strangely at times. About the middle of the month when she presented his bill he could not pay it. He afterwards left the house and sent Mrs. Lockwood a note stating that he was expecting a $6,000 position, and would soon pay his bill. Mrs. Lockwood showed this note to Gen. Logan, who said


Three weeks ago he met Mrs. Ricksford, of Mrs. Lockwood's boardinghouse, on the street, and requested her not to say anything about the bill he made, as it, would hurt him in his efforts to secure a position. He expressed great pleasure at the fact that Mrs. Lockwood had treated him very kindly while he was at her house. Mrs. Lockwood said that Guiteau was a great bother to Gen. Logan, so persistent was he in his efforts to secure that gentleman's efforts in his behalf. Since leaving Mrs. Lockwood's house he has been stopping at various places, but never a great length of time, for the reason that he appeared to have no funds. He told one of the boarders at Mrs. Lookwood's that he


but did not desire it to be known. Guiteau has been stopping for the last six weeks, with no baggage but a paper box, at No. 920 Fourteenth street. Last Thursday he left there, taking his box with him. Amongst the crowd at the police headquarters was a burly German who gave his name as Andrew Soenhugen and occupation, restaurant-keeper, of Chicago. He said he knew the prisoner well, as the latter owed him $5 or $8 for a bar bill. His reputation in Chicago was that of a second-class lawyer, and not particularly brilliant.


delivered in New York on Aug. 6, 1880, Guiteau said: "In 1861 there lived at Galena, in my own native State of Illinois, a quiet, modest man. He had graduated at West Point. He had seen service in California and Oregon. He had tasted poverty and distress in St. Louis and Galena. When President Lincoln called for 75,000 troops to suppress the incipient rebellion Capt. Grant determined to offer his services to the Government, and went to Springfield and interviewed Gov. Yates. After some delay he was given a position, and finally was sent into the field as a Colonel. Little by little he arose, till he became General of the National Army. From Galena through the War to the White House was but a step. From the White House around the globe he was the recipient of the greatest ovations


Another such prosperity would have crazed most men, but it did not Grant. The great silent man's head is just as level today as when , he sold cowhides in the streets of Galena. The military genius of Grant is not surpassed by that of Alexander, Julius Caesar, or the great Napoleon. Originally I was a Grant man. I am well satisfied with Garfield's nomination. Nothing but an act of God, said the great Senator from New York, can prevent Grant's nomination. Gen. Garfield was born in poverty and obscurity, and has attained his present position under Providence by his own efforts. When the War,came he was President of a small college in Ohio, and promptly offered his services to the Government in


After nearly three years' service he was made a Major-General. He was then elected to Congress, and has held that position ever since. His long services in some of the most important committees show that he is a square man and can be implicitly trusted. Some people said he got badly soiled in that Credit-Mobilier transaction, but I guess he is clean-handed. Last winter he was elected to the United States Senate in place of Senator Thurman, and today he is the Republican nominee for the Presiency, with every prospect of success. He is a high-toned, conscientious, Christian gentleman."


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune

NEW YORK,-July 2..—The Evening Telegram publishes the following in its extra tonight: "Guiteau arrived in this city by the French steamship Picardie from Marseilles on the 19th of June, and immediately started for Washington. His baggage was passed by one of the Custom- House officers now on the Red Cross steamer Titania, lying at Fourth street. Hoboken. He said he had been Consuls at Marseilles for twelve years. The Picardie left here for Havre on the 23d, and is hourly due at that port. Guiteau was a member of the Young Men's Christian Association. He practiced law at 170 Broadway from 1873 to 1874. Mr. Moore, of Moore & Donnelly, of No. 23 Park row, says that he has been retained in cases in which Guiteau figured during 1873 and 1874. Mr. Moore said this afternoon, "I was retained by John G. Prouty, the hardware merchant, of No.30 Barclay street, to sue Guiteau for the amount of $370 which he had collected as Mr. Prouty's attorney from a creditor. The case was to be tried before Judge Barrett. A motion for a non-suit was argued before him Oct. 6, 1873."


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune

WASHINGTON, D.C., July 2.—Mrs. William L. Grant, who keeps a fashionable boardinghouse on Fourteenth street opposite Franklin Square, gives an interesting account of her recent experience with the assassin, Guiteau. She says he came to her house about six weeks ago and took a room, giving references to President Garfield, Secretary Blaine, and others. At the end of the month he told Mrs., Grant that the failure of an expected remittance of $300 made it impossible for him to pay her anything, and by plausible stories, postponed payment | until day before yesterday, when he sneaked away. He was not expelled for nonpayment as has been stated, but sneaked away of his own accord to avoid impending expulsion. Guiteau is represented by his fellow-boarders to be a reticent, stealthy sort of a fellow, who made no friends or acquaintances, and spent a large portion of his time loafing in the McPherson square. A speech is recalled which was made by Guiteau after the nominating Convention. In it he expresses his satisfaction with the nomination of Garfield. He came to the Riggs House day before yesterday and registered as from Chicago. He did not sleep there, but left his few effects, some unimportant. Yesterday he engaged lodgings at the boardinghouse in Fourteenth street, and gave the names of Gar-field and Blaine as his reference. On his way to jail Guiteau did not utter a word. Two policemen firmly held him, and the hackdriver was directed to drive at full run to escape the mob.


WASHINGTON, D. C., July 2.—The package of documents left by Guiteau is intended for Byron Andrews, of the Chicago Inter- Ocean, and were placed in the hands of the police and were not delivered to that gentleman. Afterwards they were handed to District-Attorney Corkhill, in whose possession they now remain. Every effort has been made to obtain them from Col. Corkhill, but he deems it improper at this time to give them out for publication, and steadfastly refuses to permit them to be telegraphed or even examined. Only the contents of the note addressed to Andrews was communicated to him as a basis for his sworn statement that he had no acquaintance with Guiteau.


Special Dispatch to The Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON, D. C. July 2.—Col. Ingersoll says that he knew the assassin well, and had always rewarded him as a quite sober, and| sane man. He has no special profession, but has been an officeholder and officeseeker. Col. Ingersoll is of the opinion that his insanity is feigned. The assassin's resolution to murder President Garfield was perfectly intended by the close watch he kept on the movements of his Excellency for the past few days. Mr. Brooke Darrel, of the Treasury Department, immediately recognized him as identical with a man whom he had seen hanging around the neighborhood of the White House for some time past, and the policeman at the depot, Officer Pat Kearney, who arrested Guiteau, says he has noticed him suspiciously lurking about the depot and Sixth street for three days past, watching the carriages and vehicles as they arrived and departed with a keenness that looked as if he meant business of some character.



It was one of the most pitiable of the thoughts connected with the sad tragedy of yesterday in the minds of many who knew the assassin that it should be a person like Charles Julius Guiteau, whom they had known for many years as a shystering lawyer, a hotel deadbeat, and a religious monomaniac and swindling collector of claims, who had the power to interfere thus with the Nation's destiny, to plunge the country into mourning, to paralyze the Government for the time being, and, perhaps, to pave the way to future and interminable complications. It seemed to be the very mockery of fate that a man like this, despicable and despised, who had been kicked out of the hotels, boardinghouses, and newspaper offices of Chicago should be the chief actor in such a scene. Chicago had no reason at any time to feel proud of Mr. Guiteau, and is grieved beyond measure now that he should ever have claimed citizenship here. Mr. Guiteau is a man now 39 years of age. He was born In Freeport, ILL, where his father—the cashier of a bank for many years, but now dead—was a respected citizen. He studied in Ann Arbor, and went from there to the Oneida Community in New York. His father was a believer in the doctrines of the peculiar people of whom Mr. Noyes was the head, and the younger man had read much in earlier days of the literature of the Community. His life there, however, was neither very long nor a very happy one. He was unwilling to work, and finally left the Community, demanding the return of the $700 which he had put into the common fund when be entered the Community there. This was at first refused him, and in 1866 he began a suit against the Community for the


Finally, with the aid of Mr. George Scoville, the lawyer, of this city, who had married his sister, he succeeded in getting some of it back, and, after a very brief residence in Now York, he came on to this city, where he appeared in 1869 as a lawyer, officing at No. 60 la Salle street. The following year he moved his quarters to No. 104 Dearborn street, still professing to be a lawyer. At this period he got into trouble with the Young Men's Library, from which he was charged with stealing some books. He was prosecuted, but was acquitted and afterwards brought suit against the Association. Towards the close of 1870 he married a young lady in this city and moved with her to New York, where they lived unhappily for a few months, and she finally got a divorce from him on account of his cruelty and ill-treatment. He remained in New York until the latter part of 1874. During his residence there he got into difficulty on account of his cheating the hotels out of their board-bills, was imprisoned in Ludlow Street Jail, and was released only by the exertions of his brother-in-law. In 1875 he was back in the city, officing at No. 176 Fifth avenue, and living for a time at the Clifton House: Failing to pay his bill at this hotel, as he had failed to pay it at so many others he was summarily ejected. The following year he was over at No. 147 La Salle street, and was making an effort to live at the Gault House, but was put out of there for his peculiarities. During this year he went to New York and again resumed the practice of the law there. Owing to his irregularities when entrusted with the collection of debts,-for he collected his share first and then let his client do the rest of the collecting for himself,—He was written up extensively by the New York HeraId, his practices being commented on in very unfavorable terms. After this article he sued the paper for $100,000, and in October of that year returned to Chicago. In January, 1877, he broke out with, his religious minia. He had conceived the idea that the second coming of Christ occurred at the time of the destruction of Jerusalem, and that we were now living under the new dispensation. He tried to enforce these doctrines through lectures delivered in the city, and through pamphlets and books which he printed. In July of that year he was arrested on a charge of embezzlement,— failing to turn over money which he had been employed to collect,-and was sent to the County Jail, but was released on the 28th of July, the Grand Jury failing to find an indictment against him. After that he again delivered his lectures at various points throughout the country, and in September, 1877, was over in Detroit, Mich. Here he tried to steal away without paying his board-bill, was arrested in the interior of the State, and, while being taken back to Detroit in the cars, jumped from the train and escaped. It was at first thought that he had been killed, but this, unfortunately, turned out to be an error. In 1879 he was back in the city, officing at No. 93 Randolph street, and employed as an insurance agent.


drove him out of the business, and he spent his time, from that period till the time of the murder, in wandering around the country, seeking-to deliver his lectures, turning up occasionally at his brother-in-law's house for the purpose of getting some clean clothes and a decent meat. During the National campaign last year he suddenly appeared in New York, at the headquarters of the National and State Committees. He had meddled in politics to some little extent here, and on this occasion transferred his activity to a broader sphere. He produced a printed speech which he said he had delivered at various points, and tried to get money and a position from the Committee. After President Garfield's inauguration, he wandered to Washington in quest of a Consulship, his claim being the political services he had rendered during the campaign. He also bore with him a petition signed by one or two people of this city, who had put their names to the document simply in order to get rid of him, and without being aware of the rascally features in the man's character. He hung around there all through the spring months, but returned to this city in May, stayed, a few days, and then, on the 1st of June, left again for Washington. He purchased the ticket that day at the office of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, at No. 83 Clack street. He acted quite rationally at that time and showed no signs of insanity. All that is known of him since then is in the Washing dispatches where mention is made of his having been hanging around the White House for some days. An idea of the man's personal appearance can be gained by the cut, published in this morning's Tribune those familiar with Guiteau's ways when they are informed that Mr. Brand never was paid for his photograph.


Mr.George Scoville, of Chicago, is the brother-in-law of the assassin, havingmarried his eldest sister some thirty years ago. Mr. Scoville is one of Chicago's oldest lawyers, and was until the panic of' 1876-'77 in the enjoyment of a lucrative practice. He was found by a Tribune reporter on a Madison street car yesterday, and wanted to know the initials of the assassin's name. The Tribune man replied "Charles J." "I feared so." said Mr. Scoville, "the name being an unusual one. He is, as you know, my brother-in-law, and is now about 35 years of age. I have not seen him for two years." "Have you ever noticed any evidences of dementia or insanity in Guiteau's conduct," Mr. Scoville was asked. "Yes, sir. He has always been a religious monomaniac but the better way to explain matters would be to permit me to tell all I know about him." Mr. Scoville continued: "In 1861 or 1862 Charles was attending school at Ann Arbor, Mich. His father, Luther J. Guiteau, of Free-port, was a firm believer in the doctrines espoused by tha Oneida Community of New York State, subscribed for their newspapers, read their books,—in fact, desired to join the Community, but his second wife would not listen to it. These books and paper were always lying before the children, and it is not at all singular they would become imbued more or less with their father's views on the Oneida question. Well, Charles concluded that he had enough of Ann Arbor, and desired to join the Oneida folks. His father gave him about $700, and he ran away from school, and to the Oneida Community he went. But there was too much variance between theory and practice in free-love to please the young man. Work, he would not. So after he had been there four or five years he commenced writing to me to help him out of the scrape. I did so at his earnest solicitation. The Oneida people disliked the idea of losing- Brother Charles, as they called him, but I got about $400 of his money for him, and


"What was the next move?" queried the reporter." "He, went to New York, sir; and, having given the matter much thought, came to the conclusion that people ate too much. Crackers and water, he said, were good enough for anybody, and he ate crackers and drank water to his heart's content. He was engaged in publishing a religious newspaper in New York. The enterprise did not prove remunerative, and, after spending the pittance gotten for him from the Community folks, he engaged in the practice of the law. His method in the management of business was very devious. He was a collector of bad debts on the shares. He managed to collect his half first, and then told Mr. Client to help himself to the other half. About this time the New York Herald gave him a most unmerciful scoring with regard to his collections, Guiteau sued the paper for libel. "By this time it was pretty generally understood that Charles was of unsound mind. In fact, he was a religious monomaniac, impressed with the idea that he was an evangelist, destined to be Moody's successor, and aired his peculiar religious views in lectures all over the country. The attendance at the lectures was always slim hence the owners of the halls and hotels where he stopped necessarily suffered. "ln September, 1877 Guiteau lectured in Jackson Mich, beat his hall rent and hotel bill and went to Detroit. ln the latter city he was arrested for swindling and started back to Jackson in custody of an office. While near Ypsilanti he jumped from the train, which was running thirty miles an hour, and made his escape.


but in the course of a couple of months he appeared in Washington, D.C., selling lectures." "He has had numerous interviews with the 'story-hearted jailers' throughout the country, has he not?" said the Tribune man. "Indeed he has." said Mr. Scoville. "He was a fanatic on the subject of beating hotels. Several years ago he stopped for a week at the St. Nicholas Hotel, in New York. When his bill was presented Charles promised to pay up at once, instead of which he decamped. This made 'the Hotel people mad, and they had Charles record looked up. It was found that he had sponged off nearly all the hotels and leading boardinghouses in New York. At one place he had given a worthless check in settlement of his board bill. Charles was arrested, charged with swindling, and locked up in the Tombs. After he had been confined for about six weeks I went to New York and secured his release upon condition that I should keep him out of that city. " His adventures in Chicago are well known. He sued two or three papers here for libel, but never got anything, because he had no ground of action.


he was soliciting insurance for the Chicago & Northwestern Life-Insurance Company of Milwaukee, and selling his lectures also. Why, a man would give him the price of a lecture to get rid of him. "One day, here in Chicago,


the coal dealer, and insisted on his taking three or four lectures. Goit, of course, did not want them, but finally told Charles he would take half a dozen upon condition that he would agree to sell a dozen to Robert Law, another well-known coal-dealer. Guiteau agreed to the proposition at once, and sold Mr. Law quite a bundle of religious literature. This was the way he wandered through the country. We always considered him of very unsound mind but not dangerous. He never did but one thing that would look at all as if he was inclined to be violent. It was this: One day he made his appearance at our country house in Wisconsin in rags. We dressed him up, and after a few days Mrs. Scoville asked him to do some little act around the house, I forget what it was. The request incensed Charles very much, and he drew a hatchet as if to strike her. Mrs. Scoville wanted him confined in an asylum, but the family objected, his lunacy being regarded by them as harmless. Everybody who knows him will tell you he is a religious monomaniac." " Was he ever in government employ, Mr. Scoville." "No, sir, never in the world. He was never Consul to Marseilles or any other place. I dare say he told such a story to the officers when arrested. His father and mother are dead, and he has a divorced wife who has remarried and is living, in Leadville. Her maiden name was Annie Nunn. She was a resident of Chicago."


Miss Fanny Scoville, Guiteau's niece, remembered many singular and interesting circumstances in the life of her now notorious uncle. She said that as a boy he was called "very queer," and as a man was looked upon as being crazy and visionary. He had come when a mere boy to live with her father and mother (his sister), his own mother having died and his father having married again. Although acknowledged to have been very odd in his ways, the boy had been called very bright and promising, it being predicted when he left Freeport, ILL., where he was born, to come to Chicago, that he would surely become famous some day (as he has). He has always objected to manual labor, but never tried to shirk study or any other mental task to which he might be put. He had studied law with Mr. Scoville, and had been admitted to the bar some eight or ten years ago, but he has never practiced at the profession much, and had always shown a disposition to wander about the country, never losing an opportunity to travel as soon as he got hold of a little money.


was a great fear of dogs. On one occasion he had been asked to carry a noisy little puppy from a sickroom, and had refused to touch the harmless creature, declaring that he did hot want hydrophobia. He would borrow money and never think of paying it back except by giving his worthless note, and then appearing to think that all his responsibility in the matter ended. While entirely dependent upon his brother-in-law for support, he was eternally giving his advice as to how the household and other family matters should be conducted. He was continually talking about religion, and about doing something to make himself famous; and he also had a way of threatening to kill people when they opposed him in discussion. He once made the observation that there were two men in the world


and George Scoville was one of them," and yet George Scoville had done more for him than any one else in the world. Once, while he was with the family up in Wisconsin, he threatened to kill his sister with an ax, going so far as to rush upon her with the weapon upraised in his hands. She fled from him, and was not hurt, and Guiteau appeared before her a few minutes later as though nothing had happened. It was while he was up in Wisconsin that Guiteau's re- latives had him examined by Dr. Rice, who pronounced him "insane but harmless." Not long ago he went to New York, and was arrested there for not paying his board bill, Mr. Scoville finding it necessary to visit New York and effect the release of the young man. During the summer preceding the great fire Guiteau, then about 25 years old, met and formed an attachment for the lady librarian of the Y. M. C. A. She was his senior by several years, but she consented to marry him, and the newly-married pair lived with Mr. Scoville's family during the honeymoon. Then they went to keeping house, then to quarreling, and finally, after they had been married about a year, they went to New York and - procured a divorce. Guiteau left the Scoville family about two years ago, and Miss Scoville says that the last they heard from him he had lectured in Boston on the second coming of Christ, and was about to start for England to labor there as a revivalist. Before that he had lectured on religious subjects in small towns throughout this State. Miss Scoville also said that her uncle had always entertained a ridiculous and childish fear of firearms, to such an extent in fact that it was looked upon as one proof of the unsoundness of his mind. And one other fact worth mentioning is, that Guiteau was said by Miss Scoville to have been a great admirer of Conkling, often asserting with the greatest assurance that Conkling would be the next President."


Among other interesting incidents which marked Guiteau's career in Chicago was one wherein he figured as a rejected and supremely ridiculous lover, the fair one of whom he became enamored, but who refused to receive his attentions, being a charming young lady of this city, whose father is one of its wealthy and highly respected physicians. Guiteau met the young lady at North Lake, Wis., about four years ago, at a time when he was stopping with the family of his brother-in-law, Mr. Scoville, who owned a farm or summer residence near North Lake. Guiteau, after meeting the lady by chance, at once left the house of his relative and secured an apartment in the same house where the object of his suddenly-acquired passion was stopping with her parents. She stated afterward that Guiteau's appearance and manners impressed her and her parents so very unfavorably that they at once decided not to receive him as a visitor. But the fellow was remarkably persistent and really annoying in his endeavors to force, himself upon the young lady's society. Being positively denied that privilege, he resorted to the plan of writing her the most amatory epistles, the impassioned tone of which was relieved occasionally by a short dissertation on religious subjects. He followed the young lady and her family to Chicago, and for months continued to annoy them by his oft-repeated efforts to secure admission to the house, still continuing too, the one-sided correspondence with its violent expressions of love. Finally, one day he called at the gentleman's house and demanded that he be allowed to enter. Making up his mind that he would put an end to the nuisance, the gentleman invited Guiteau to one of the upper apartments, a bedroom, and then locked. Him in. His next step was to summon two policemen to whom he proposed to turn the intruder over. But while the officers were being summoned Guiteau made preparations to let himself out of the window by means of a rope which he had improvised from the bedclothes in the room. Just as he was about to begin his descent, however, the officers appeared, and no sooner did Guiteau see the door open, than he made a rush toward it, and, bolting past the officers, ran downstairs and managed to effect an escape. A few nights later he was seen by a neighbor standing opposite the house, and the neighbor, having been advised as to the situation, lost no time in laying hold of the fellow and administering to him a severe chastisement. But Guiteau was not yet discouraged, for not many days had elapsed before he was again seen hanging about the premises; and again the neighbor came to the rescue by administering to Guiteau a second trouncing. So roughly was he handled this time, in fact, that he never again had the courage to annoy the young lady or her family.


Constable George Hartman remembers Guiteau, whom he has known for about fifteen year, as a nervous, excitable person, whom many people regarded as a lunatic. Among members of the legal profession, so far as the Constable knew, the man did not meet with much favor because of certain now nearly forgotten irregularities of which he was known at the time to be guilty. Before the great fire Guiteau had an office on Dearborn street, but for a short time only, because he steadily persisted in refusing to pay any rent, and consequently his Iocal business habitation was frequently to be found only under his hat. "I remember once, just how many years ago it was I can't say. Guiteau was engaged as counsel in a small civil suit before Justice Winship

continued on PAGE 5